Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nor Cal Trout

Default Nor Cal Trout

I did some trout fishing in Northern California this week. It is quite a contrast to walking the granite and the open spaces of the High Sierra. The fishing was not great but it was small stream fishing and in late August I think that is what you can expect. I went to a stream I have been to in the past but not in the last 15 years. I thought I would see how the creek and the area had changed but it was mostly the way I left it and I think I ended up seeing how I had changed. No big fish but that left me plenty of time for picture taking so some good stuff to look at.

I had overcast conditions and did some slow shutter speed shots which was a new thing for me.

Last light of the day in the trees.

Nice view downstream and some sort of old bridge. Indiana Jones would have run to the end of it and leaped across.

This guy landed on my sleeve and insisted I take his picture.

The underwater world of the cased caddis.

Macro shot of cased caddis gripping the rock in the current.

A lot of flaking in the past at the place I camped. I was not the first person to have camped there.

Nice background.

All nymphing today. No interest in the dry fly.

Top fish for the trip.

A good spot to chill your hoppy poppy. Also a good place to lay on the cool rocks for an hour after drinking some of your hoppy poppy.
    Last edited by John H; 10-13-2019 at 09:39 AM.

Very nice John.....

That should inspire some of us to get out there...........October can be so good for trout.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Cased Caddis pictures are cool. Things in nature co-existing and sharing the resources for the greater good. Then there's the Roll Corporation, et. al. Sorry, that "name" has no business in the same thread as your pictures.

If you haven't already done so, please share your equipment used if you care to do so.............. I haven't been able to keep up with the SLR or "point and shoot" options of late........... The one Go-Pro I bought turned out to be a lemon and by the time I figured that out, it was too late to recoup my money.
    Last edited by OceanSunfish; 08-23-2019 at 10:48 PM.

Super nice shots. I tend to fish at higher elevations this time of year due to the heat, but that looked quite pleasant and shady.

Sunfish -

I took two cameras on this trip. I used a Nikon 610 DSLR for the first three shots. I have a 24-70 lens, a polarizing filter and a fanny pack type case which is about as simple as a DSLR package can get. It weighs 7 pounds and is not waterproof so it is cumbersome but the pictures great so I take it. The resolution is crazy when you get focused in and have good light. The camera also does not over edit so there is room for you to edit at home. I don’t take a tripod generally but I do on canoe trips because it is good for time lapses.

The rest of the shots were on an Olympus TG4 which is waterproof so I can carry it anywhere and not worry about damaging it. I took the dragonfly shot in microscope mode which is why the details are so sharp. I took the caddis shot in underwater wide and underwater macro mode. The fish shots I took with a 19 mm fisheye lens attached which makes it easier to get the fish in the photo without looking at the back of the camera to see what you are pointing at. The beer can shot I took with a polarizing filter attached.

I just got a GoPro. I took some fish shots with it and the highlights were burned out so I think the Olympus may be better for that. I will do some GoPro video which should be good but we’ll see how useful it is.

I try to keep my gear simple so it is easy to carry and whip out when a good shot comes along. If you don’t have it or can’t easily get it out you won’t be taking many pictures. I use my phone when I don’t take any cameras with me. If you are looking for advice I would say get a good waterproof point and shoot that you can attach lenses to and learn to use the functions. I am amazed by what that Olympus will do. My whole Olympus package was about $600.
    Last edited by John H; 08-25-2019 at 01:03 PM.

Thanks for the equipment info. I'm very intrigued by the Olympus TG4. I've fallen way off the DSLR stuff....... Gotten lazy........ use phone camera too much. May have better trips lined up for Summer of '20 so the Olympus may need to be considered. Thanks!

We were fortunate to be caretakers on a stream like this for a few years. Small streams and beautiful trout like these are still my favorite experiences. Also, thank you for the camera tips! Always trying to find the perfect travel, work, waterproof, good telephoto for birds, close ups for fish and wildflowers, durable, easy to operate camera that takes great pictures. Always seem to elude me, like the perfect daypack.

As usual John,
    Simply splendid indeed!
    We never tire of looking at your stuff......especially fish with ALL their fins.
    .....lee s.

Anybody use waterproof flash defusers on their camera? Necessary to get the fantastic shots that John captures? Thanks!

Anybody feel that red colored camera bodies get stolen more often? I like the red body camera body myself.

Really nice photos John,

Thanks for the camera info, I too have stopped carrying my DSLR due to size & weight and am thinking on a P&S that can take a circular polarizer the Olympus was on the short list.