Thread: Third try....Hwy 88 lakes again..........................

Default Third try....Hwy 88 lakes again..........................

I decided to try the “beautiful high Sierra lake tucked against a mountain...” again.

Armed with my two weight this time and the float tube, I was on the road @ 8:30 a.m. and was on the water @ 10:00.

On the way up, Hope Valley was nearly void of cars and I couldn't spot ANY fisher people in the meadow.

At the lake, there were lots of small fish rising pre-noon for what I could tell was a size 30 (or smaller) emerging midge(s).

I kicked around the entire lake with little success and finally found some "players" on the shallow side of the lake.

Just after noon, I started getting grabs using a #16 nymph however, not the same action as last week.
    I changed to a size #14 and had a "little better" result............go figure

I did catch some smallish rainbows this time and they were "very spunky" compaired to the brookies.

So, for an all day effort (10:00 - 7:00) I landed about a dozen and a half........not as good as last week......and again, mostly on the small side............. with a few exceptions this time.

Notable too was the fact that the outflow of the lake was much less than a week ago.

Last week I used a 4wt. and felt a little "over-gunned" and the 2wt. yesterday felt just right.

After Labor Day I may give it another shot.........................

Bob

Charlie Fullerton, director of the CA DF&W years ago, told me around September 1 in the high country it would actually start to cool of at

night which brought the fish into the shallows to feed.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by BS View Post
    I decided to try the “beautiful high Sierra lake tucked against a mountain...” again.

Armed with my two weight this time and the float tube, I was on the road @ 8:30 a.m. and was on the water @ 10:00.

On the way up, Hope Valley was nearly void of cars and I couldn't spot ANY fisher people in the meadow.

At the lake, there were lots of small fish rising pre-noon for what I could tell was a size 30 (or smaller) emerging midge(s).

I kicked around the entire lake with little success and finally found some "players" on the shallow side of the lake.

Just after noon, I started getting grabs using a #16 nymph however, not the same action as last week.
    I changed to a size #14 and had a "little better" result............go figure

I did catch some smallish rainbows this time and they were "very spunky" compaired to the brookies.

So, for an all day effort (10:00 - 7:00) I landed about a dozen and a half........not as good as last week......and again, mostly on the small side............. with a few exceptions this time.

Notable too was the fact that the outflow of the lake was much less than a week ago.

Last week I used a 4wt. and felt a little "over-gunned" and the 2wt. yesterday felt just right.

After Labor Day I may give it another shot.........................

Bob

Thank you, Bob

I caught my fist brook trout on a fly rod in that outlet creek. Andy G sold me a TFO 2 wt years ago and it quickly became a favorite for small lakes and streams.

I used to fish Caples Creek a ton in the early 90s. Was a great little stream.