The fish are definitely late this year. Eric and I were up in Orleans last week for 4 days fishing our go-to spots. Sporadic hp's each day, but on the smaller side (13-16"). No bigger hp's (18") caught at all. Nor did we touch any adult fish. Saw a few splashing, but they weren't interested. Did not see a single salmon the whole trip.

The reason we went early this year is because I went solo the same weekend last year and had epic fishing. Tons of hp's and a good number of fish in in the 22-26" range.

So, it just boils down to luck and timing. You just never know for sure when these fish will make the move upstream. The water was fairly warm though. I took a temp in the afternoon of 70 degrees. But it was the same last year, and every year for that matter. So I don't think that was the reason for lack of fish in the river.

Clarity was perfect and no algae in the river. We wet waded and didn't get any rashes or bumps like last year. So I think the nasty stuff Bruce mentioned is no longer an issue.

I'd bet that the middle river will be loaded with fish in a couple weeks. If I was retired, I'd be up there all month!

~Jeff