Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lower Klamath River report......

The fish are definitely late this year. Eric and I were up in Orleans last week for 4 days fishing our go-to spots. Sporadic hp's each day, but on the smaller side (13-16"). No bigger hp's (18") caught at all. Nor did we touch any adult fish. Saw a few splashing, but they weren't interested. Did not see a single salmon the whole trip.

The reason we went early this year is because I went solo the same weekend last year and had epic fishing. Tons of hp's and a good number of fish in in the 22-26" range.

So, it just boils down to luck and timing. You just never know for sure when these fish will make the move upstream. The water was fairly warm though. I took a temp in the afternoon of 70 degrees. But it was the same last year, and every year for that matter. So I don't think that was the reason for lack of fish in the river.

Clarity was perfect and no algae in the river. We wet waded and didn't get any rashes or bumps like last year. So I think the nasty stuff Bruce mentioned is no longer an issue.

I'd bet that the middle river will be loaded with fish in a couple weeks. If I was retired, I'd be up there all month!

~Jeff

Lower T is a problem because of the “restoration” project. We will see how it goes. Klamath and Rogue are driveable in a pinch.
    Last edited by PV_Premier; 09-11-2019 at 06:00 PM.

Here's a link to check the turbidity on the Trinity at Helena. Anything under 7 NTUs is fishable in my opinion. Most of the turbidity is settling out in the gorge and visibility gets noticeably better as you get downstream. If you're fishing below Hawkins Bar you should be fine.

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/jspplot/jsp...cookies=cdec01

On the drive up last Wednesday, the Trinity was complete mud (along Hwy 96) due to the bump in flows for the tribal ceremony. I'm assuming this was due to the up-river restoration and high flows. However, on the drive home Saturday afternoon, it was back to normal. Clear and looking good. I make the right turn at Willow Creek on Hwy 299, so I can't vouch for anything east of WC.

~Jeff

A reliable source who fished the lower 10 miles yesterday said a bunch of 1/2'rs showed up last few days. A late wad o fish should show in Orleans soon enough.

Andy