Thread: Delta summertime stripers

Default Delta summertime stripers

Did some exploratory trips to the Delta recently. Went out with my boy Ben last Saturday not expecting much….tide was bottoming out, breezy, high water temps. And previous trips from a few weeks back had been dismal.
    We made an impromptu stop at an iffy spot and we were greeted with a flock of birds lining the shoreline. First cast on a topwater plug and Ben was on board. I made a cast with a clouser on an I-line and hooked up next. The next few minutes were some of the better fishing sessions we’ve had in a while. Several doubles…all nice schoolies.
    It was fun:

We got them while the getting was good. And like typical stripers, they were gone in a flash. Spent the rest of the morning hitting several spots and catching a few. Not a bad way to spend a summer day in the Delta.

Went back the very next morning with my wife. We didn’t run into any big schools but had enough takes to make it another good outing. Even had some on top.
    Grainy pic of the topwater eat:

The ensuing fight. Even the schoolies put some serious bend on the old 10wt topwater rod:

And just like that, I got the good old striper itch again.
    Tied some more rattle clousers for the box:

And snuck out this morning to fish the morning bite:
    Not red hot, but got me a good one on top:

She did not hesitate. Sucked it way down deep:

That fish nearly gave me a heart attack. It bolted straight to the weeds. I held on tight to the line and my fly line snapped. Luckily she was buried in the weeds and didn’t keep running. I was able to grab the broken end of the floating shooting head as it slowly eased its way through the guides. I handlined it the rest of the way.
    Photographic proof of the damage. The fly line had several cracks and weakened the exposed braided core. I’ll be sure to check the integrity of all my set-ups from now on:

No more players on top after that so I switched over to the rattle clousers and got one more:

Not a bad past set of trips. Hopefully it gets better from here on out.
    ' You have TP for my bunghole?' - Beavis

Wow......thanks Mar........

You seem to have those Stripers figured out better than most.

Love the pictures.....

I guess some of these are fresh in from the Bay and Beaches?

I guess some of us better get after those Stripers in the Delta?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Awesome report! Love the savage nature of stripers.... especially the big girls not shy about suction...

Heck of a stretch there buddy. Makes me wanna get out there!

A long wet cold Winter, then a mild summer by Central Valley standards so far............. (Knock-Knock) Hope for average Fall (not blistering hot) and the delta striper fishing should be good!

Thanks for sharing the pictures

Great report and awesome photos as usual! What weight rod and line are you throwing the Jumbo Poledancers with? I've only used the mediums which i love throwing with a 9 weight with a twisted leader. Threw it a few times this week in the local river for a few grabs on top but I want to try the jumbo's. What sort of casting distance are you getting with the Jumbo under normal conditions?

I just got my boat dialed with a new Helix and Minn Kota I-pilot (which is amazing) so hoping to hit the delta again soon. It's been too long but for now i'll keep getting the young boys on some stripers locally. They have been having a blast catching a few each morning. Nothing over 8 pounds yet but did have a nice fish follow the clouser up to the boat today.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    Wow......thanks Mar........

You seem to have those Stripers figured out better than most.

Love the pictures.....

I guess some of these are fresh in from the Bay and Beaches?

I guess some of us better get after those Stripers in the Delta?
    Thanks Bill. I don't have anything figured out more than any other striper chasers out there. Just get lucky once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by STEELIES/26c3 View Post
    Awesome report! Love the savage nature of stripers.... especially the big girls not shy about suction...
    You're right about that. They're savage when they commit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr T View Post
    Heck of a stretch there buddy. Makes me wanna get out there!
    Right on dude. You will get out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Chasin Fin View Post
    Great report and awesome photos as usual! What weight rod and line are you throwing the Jumbo Poledancers with? I've only used the mediums which i love throwing with a 9 weight with a twisted leader. Threw it a few times this week in the local river for a few grabs on top but I want to try the jumbo's. What sort of casting distance are you getting with the Jumbo under normal conditions?

I just got my boat dialed with a new Helix and Minn Kota I-pilot (which is amazing) so hoping to hit the delta again soon. It's been too long but for now i'll keep getting the young boys on some stripers locally. They have been having a blast catching a few each morning. Nothing over 8 pounds yet but did have a nice fish follow the clouser up to the boat today.
    I'm using a 10wt rod, 22-23ft Skagit floating head with 0.040" floater running line and twisted leader. I used to toss 10wt or 11wt floater obs lines but the shorter skagit head saves me false cast or two. And that counts for a lot when chucking this heavy set-up since I'm limited to a certain 'pitch count' before my shoulder/elbows/arms cry uncle. I haven't really paid attention to distance. All I know is I get it out there far enough to tease a fish to commit.
    ' You have TP for my bunghole?' - Beavis