Thread: Second try....Hwy 88 lakes again..........................

Default Second try....Hwy 88 lakes again..........................

After last weeks skunk.............................

Left the house @ 8:30 destined to check out Scotts Lake with my Watermaster raft.
    Made it up to Hope Valley and started searching for the "correct turn off".

For those interested..........not nearly the amount of people fishing the Hope Valley meadow as was last week !!!!!!!!

I missed said turn off twice on Hwy 88 and decided to see if I could get in through a dispersed camping area.
    I missed said turn off in the campground turned around and finally found the "correct road".

Well, since I've never been up to Scotts and didn't have any "first hand" road information and the road looked like it could easily turn into a "call a tow truck" nightmare for a stock non-lifted rig, I said "screw it" and decided to check out Red Lake...(Pea Soup Lake).

Got to Red and walked across the dam and saw about a half dozen rises on my stroll.
    Man.......too bad Red turns to Green during the summer.

So, instead of heading back home I decided to check out Woods Lake.

I got to the parking area and walked down to the lake and asked a couple of float tube guys if they'd done any good and if the water was frigid.
    Well, one of them caught one little brookie and the other hadn't caught anything and they said the water was rather comfortable too.

Hummmmm............sounded good enough to give it a try.
    I gave my five bucks to the Woods Lake iron ranger and decided to leave the Watermaster in the car and just wade from shore.

I fished from about 2:00 till 7:30 and landed a couple of dozen +- very small brookies.......six inches or so.
    There was no back cast room so a 50-70 foot roll cast using my micro trout switch rod with a nymph under an indicator was the ticket...........Did you get that Bill ???

The tube and shore bait fishermen weren't too happy with my performance.

AAAAhhhhhhhh............... some redemption from last weeks azz whuppin' I got.
    Even though the fish weren't large, it least it was some catching !!!!!!

So, I got to visit a new, beautiful place, catch some fish, and pizz off a few people........what a day !!!!!
    Gotta' like that it's only an hour away from home too !!!!!!!

Going to sleep with a smile on my face tonight.

Bob

Nice Bob.....

I always love to hear that the fly fisher was doing well while the bait dunkers watched.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

There was a time when I caught brookies, cutthroats, rainbows and browns at Woods in the same day. For a while they would plant everything there.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Quote Originally Posted by Scott V View Post
    There was a time when...............
    It's unfortunate that we use that string of words to describe many, if not all, of the places we use to fish.

Think about where you liked to fish then.......... and what it is like now............depressing.

Bob

It is amazing how our fisheries have failed in the past 50 years.

Some are still holding up though.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by BS View Post
    It's unfortunate that we use that string of words to describe many, if not all, of the places we use to fish.

Think about where you liked to fish then.......... and what it is like now............depressing.

Bob
    As in Lake Davis.................. Too bad the lake wasn't annexed by Montana and managed by Montana F&W. What a debacle.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    It is amazing how our fisheries have failed in the past 50 years.

Some are still holding up though.
    Our family has enjoyed this Sierra treasure for over 25 years. We’ve seen what, “too much love,” has done to this lake as Sunset Magazine named it one of the best places to camp in California. It’s no where near the lake it was. Earlier this season vacationers were taking out stringers of fish over 12”. So we ask people who “discover” this lake to not tell anyone about it. It could benefit from a break. Simply refer to it as a, “beautiful high Sierra lake tucked against a mountain...”