Thread: float tube floation devices reviews recommenditions

Default float tube floation devices reviews recommenditions

ok now I,m shopping floation devices for use in the float tube anybody "had" to use one? I'm a strong swimmer but am also 73 and getting smarter.

Not in a float tube, but was in a boat. Had small skiff and outboard in reverse, backing out of a slip. Gear shift had slipped into neutral; but i thought still in reverse. So when I shifted to come to a stop actually had me in forward. Drove bow of skiff into dock, under dock, ultimately buried outboard and flooded boat. Without help I couldn't get onto dock, no ladders. Now I put pfd on before I get in boat, even when launching from shore. Most docks are designed for larger boats, not a rowboat with gunnel below dock height, that is light enough to slide away when you step into it. i launch from shore now whenever possible.

Quote Originally Posted by beachjumper1 View Post
    ok now I,m shopping floation devices for use in the float tube anybody "had" to use one? I'm a strong swimmer but am also 73 and getting smarter.

I am 72 and use NRS Chinook Fishing Vest PFD - both when wading and in my Watermaster. I am 6'2" and it is comfortable plus very adjustable. It is a kayaker cut vest (high back, high waist, deep V neck) so the bottom does not rub on the inflatable. Should work well in a float tube.

It is $80 online and $110 at Cabela's. When I first bought it, I tested it by jumping off a dock wearing waders, wading boots and with the vest loaded with my fishing junk. I feel very safe.

I have never used an automatic inflating PFD, but 2 guys I fish with love their's for stillwater but both use regular PFD on rivers.

Jim

I settled on the Stohlquist Spectrum PFD for use in my boat, float tube, and pontoon. It adjusts easily, fits well, and is very comfortable to wear. I chose it because I wanted a pfd that was always ready (no inflation failures or leaks, it just works).

My 2 cents,
    Dan

thank you everyone