Thread: I fly fish most of the time with a weight forward floating line.......

Default I fly fish most of the time with a weight forward floating line.......

....a knotless tapered leader and a light fly, barbless................for almost everything that swims.

To be able to catch anything doing this I need to seriously select my places, the time of year and the time of day.

For trout I like to fish dries on top or strip or swing wet flies so I am looking for hatches.

For bass I fish the spring time for top water and fish early and late in the day with poppers spring, summer and fall.

For Steelhead I fish in the Fall, Sept/Oct/Nov, with a leader as long as my rod and an unweighted Classic dark winged fly, AM and PM or in the shade.

For tropical salt water flats fishing most everyone fishes a floating line for Bones and Permit.

For Tarpon I like the AM in shallower flats in the warm months with smaller aggressive size fish. Poppers, Hairbugs and unweight flies all work, especially if it is calm.

I use mostly a floater in Baja for everything but many might never use a floater. I like poppers and airheads for Dorado, Jacks, Trevally and Roosterfish.

You can catch Shad with a floating line very late in the day....

I don't mind a sink-tip but I don't like casting fast sinking lines and Clousers and not a big fan of indicators.

The main reason I fish this way is the fact that it is fun and challenging but also the casting is so nice.

I don't recommend this style to everyone because you have to be happy with catching less fish.

When I started fly fishing there were no sink-tips, 30' shooting heads were just invented, there were no indicator until the 1980s?

If I go out in the Delta I would fish a Rio OBS #6 sink integrated line with a Clouser type fly.

If I floated the lower Sac I would probably fish the traditional 2 fly indo rig but maybe swing flies in the PM?

In lakes in the day time with no hatch I would use a WF5I clear slow singing full line. Indo fishing in a lake has to be the worst?

I don't have to get high numbers of fish so my system works for me.

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

How much has your technique changed after you learned to use a double hand rod?

Because I am 74 now I only fish Steelhead in the Fall so I only use a Scandi floating head with a 12' long tapered leader and an unweighted classic winged fly. Early and late or in the shade I use dark flies.

I would use a Scandi with a fast sinking Poly/Versi leader to get down in the day time or colder months.

I am not a great Spey caster yet because I just have not put in the time.

Top two hand/ Spey Steelheaders Al Perryman and Jason Hartwick use mostly floating Scandi heads with long leaders in the Fall.

I am excited that the younger and tougher crowd is Spey casting for winter Steelhead.

I think they use floating Skagit heads with MOW tips and tube flies.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........