My typical M.O. when it comes to my big fishing trip is I travel to some Rocky Mountain State, fly fish for a couple of weeks and then swing by Oregon to see family that resides there. This time I did it in a reverse order: family first, then fishing. After visiting for a few days I started out in the eastern part of the beaver state, where I didn’t see any Bundys, but plenty of mosquitoes and redband trout that rose with abandon to just about any dry fly I chose to fling on the water.

I headed south through Nevada and into California, destination: a rather desolate mountain range that I’ve explored a bit, but this time there was a rumor of cutthroat trout that allegedly were in a stream that wasn’t supposed to contain them at all. The road in certainly needed 4WD, and the rumor turned out to be just that: a rumor. Rainbows aplenty, no cutts. The rainbows were not even hybridized one bit, so so much for fishing rumors, eh?

I then meandered over to the range of light and got high…in elevation! I fished streams and lakes that contained the California state fish and enjoyed my own little gold rush.

I also enjoyed some nice sunsets along the way too, including this one over Mono Lake.

I hit some other spots on the east side on my way home, but you get the idea…

Enjoy!