Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Advice Re: Jon boat

Quote Originally Posted by OceanSunfish View Post
    Let it go...........

No way an 18 foot boat with a 70" bottom is going to perform that well with a 60-40. In a river, you don't have all day to pop up on plane.

Buy a new boat from Sutter and be happy....... the deal is that those that buy this kind of jet boat typically keep them..... You'll actually find more used ones in the Southeast too. Sutter does good work. Think twice before working with the "only game in town" dealer in the greater Portland area. Seattle area Yamaha/North River shop is king. Worth going the extra mile to have that place rig your vessel.

Small jet boats in CA are hard to power............ 4-strokes are heavy. There's a reason why Koffler and others of the same ilk sell mostly hulls minimum 18'. It's not the capacity, but the power to hull size ratio. Koffler has conducted so much R&D on shorter hull lengths (less than 18') and bottom widths that he could talk to you for days about it. Remember, the Jon style boat is not a Koffler though.

I'd definitely be happy with a new boat, but also think I'd be happy with used (and saving 10k, my wife would be happy too) as long as it was a good boat/motor. 1870 is a wide boat but he's at the max rating for that boat in regards to size of motor. If it was a center console you could go up to 75hp. That being said, next size up on a jet is 90, no way you could put that on the back of that boat. I've got to trust the manufacturer rating at 60hp max for a tiller handle, so they've either under rated it for a jet or not, only one way to find out. I don't plan to run on a small river, only the Klamath or Rogue, then the sloughs for ducks.

As an example, a new crestliner 1860 is 760lb and rated at 60hp max. I take that to mean you could only put a 60/40 jet on it rather than a 90/60 jet. Is my thinking wrong?

Waiting for a reply to my offer in which I asked if he'd run it on a local river.
    Last edited by Bwag; 08-18-2019 at 08:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bwag View Post
    I'd definitely be happy with a new boat, but also think I'd be happy with used (and saving 10k, my wife would be happy too) as long as it was a good boat/motor. 1870 is a wide boat but he's at the max rating for that boat in regards to size of motor. If it was a center console you could go up to 75hp. That being said, next size up on a jet is 90, no way you could put that on the back of that boat. I've got to trust the manufacturer rating at 60hp max for a tiller handle, so they've either under rated it for a jet or not, only one way to find out. I don't plan to run on a small river, only the Klamath or Rogue, then the sloughs for ducks.

As an example, a new crestliner 1860 is 760lb and rated at 60hp max. I take that to mean you could only put a 60/40 jet on it rather than a 90/60 jet. Is my thinking wrong?

Waiting for a reply to my offer in which I asked if he'd run it on a local river.
    You just confirmed what I said............. "Small jet boats for CA are hard to power".................... I think you're asking a question of the seller that you already know the answer............. I bet if you talk to anyone that owns a small jon style jet boat in CA that has to hang a 4-stroke on it, they will admit that the boat is slow. You just have to accept that fact or go another direction. BTW, going slow on the river is not a bad thing.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by OceanSunfish View Post
    You just confirmed what I said............. "Small jet boats for CA are hard to power".................... I think you're asking a question of the seller that you already know the answer............. I bet if you talk to anyone that owns a small jon style jet boat in CA that has to hang a 4-stroke on it, they will admit that the boat is slow. You just have to accept that fact or go another direction. BTW, going slow on the river is not a bad thing.

Good luck.
    Most boats on the Klamath I see are probably closer to 16-17 ft but they aren’t screaming up the river. Probably more 2 stroke than 4 for reasons you’ve stated, don’t know if they hunt ducks in the sloughs though. I honestly don’t know the answer. I don’t need speed, just want to get up on plane and maneuver fine. Is thinking a boat like this going up the Klamath at 22-25 mph with two guys and a dog unreasonable?

I have a 17.5' G3 center console (1756CC to be exact) with a 77" beam powered by a 60/40 Yami 4-stroke jet. With 2 people in it, it goes 25-27 MPH at full throttle (verified by GPS). With 2 people in it (and a ton of gear) it has no problems getting on plane or maneuvering. Plenty fast and good enough performance for me! Would I rather have a 90/60 Yami on it? You betcha, but the boat didn't come equipped that way! I'm very happy with my G3's jet performance.

BWAG, I forgot to add, that I also went though the same buying process for a jet you are now undertaking. Yep, I also found very few jets for sale in CA that were not beat to death, or grossly overpriced. Took me around a year to find a suitable used boat (and I jumped on that one real quick!). And I had to pay about $2k over NADA value (to be fair, the boat I bought has extra accessories that could make up for some of that additional $). My advice is to buy a used boat if at all possible, as the depreciation on new boats is very bad over the first 5 years (speaking from experience from someone who's previous boats were all bought new!). New boats are great, but come at a premium price. Buy used, and you will likely only lose a little $$$ value over the years you own the boat then sell it. Buy new, you will likely lose a whole bunch $$$$ value.

Quote Originally Posted by WLREDBAND View Post
    BWAG, I forgot to add, that I also went though the same buying process for a jet you are now undertaking. Yep, I also found very few jets for sale in CA that were not beat to death, or grossly overpriced. Took me around a year to find a suitable used boat (and I jumped on that one real quick!). And I had to pay about $2k over NADA value (to be fair, the boat I bought has extra accessories that could make up for some of that additional $). My advice is to buy a used boat if at all possible, as the depreciation on new boats is very bad over the first 5 years (speaking from experience from someone who's previous boats were all bought new!). New boats are great, but come at a premium price. Buy used, and you will likely only lose a little $$$ value over the years you own the boat then sell it. Buy new, you will likely lose a whole bunch $$$$ value.
    Seems like the boats I’ve looked at are all around 2k over nada. New would be great but I think as you’ve stated I’d save a lot going used and it’d be better to learn on a used one. I made him an offer he hasn’t got back to me yet, told him I’d like him to get a compression check and go for a ride on his local river.

Thanks for the info above on your boat.

I just looked at the Craiglist add. My boat is also a 2007 and I paid $10.5K for it. My boat is in much much much much nicer shape, and equipped with a lot of nice stuff that boat does not have (like an Ipilot electric trolling motor to name only one). Based on my personal shopping experiences from 2 years ago (when I bought the G3), IMNSHO, that boat is overpriced. I almost hate to say this, but if it were me I'd pass at that price.
    I know I'm not helping
    PS: A good boat at a good price will sell within the first two weeks on Craiglist. I bought the G3 two days after it posted and the dude had over 5 serious buyers in that 2 days (but I was first with the cash in hand). That was my personal experience as both a buyer and seller. That boats been up for over a month.
    I know I'm not helping
    Last edited by WLREDBAND; 08-18-2019 at 07:05 PM.

You will want to get a pretty new 4 stroke outboard because it will be fuel injected rather than having 2 to 3 carburetors.

Fuel injection is just better for several reasons.

They work better at different altitudes.

They stat better hot or cold.

There is only one venturi so they are easier to work on.

World wide, especially are salt water, Yamaha in number 1.

Honda is excellent too.

Johnson E-Tec are good.

Suzuki is a good company.

A brand new Mercury would be fine but old used ones not so much.

For a used older motor I would stay with Yamaha.

You see tons of old boats on trailers with old 2 strokes on them for cheap.

Basically you just take the old 2 stroke to the recycle yard.

New motors are $5,000 ton$10,000......(40 - 90hp)...........yahoo....but so sweet.

I been working on outboards sense I was 13 years old.

My first boat at 13 was a wooden dingy with an old Elgin outboard I rebuilt.

I have had dozen of boats, many I bought and rebuilt the entire rig, boat, motor and trailer.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........