Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice Re: Jon boat

Looking at this boat

https://medford.craigslist.org/boa/d...928066667.html

I've talked with the owner, asked him to get a compression test and the number of engine hours. Booking it out, new back in 2007 it sold for around 13500. 10k for a 12 year old boat/motor seems high, nada books the boat, trailer and motor between $6500-7500. I put that out there to him and he didn't dispute it, his reply was getting a new smoker craft is 20k, which it may be but were talking a 12 year old boat/motor crest liner that all be it looks to be in good shape. He said he'd take 9k but my thoughts are that's still too high, I'm thinking of offering $7800 and paying for the compression test. Am I off base on thinking 9k is too high?

Move on. Plenty of boats out there.

Quote Originally Posted by OceanSunfish View Post
    Talk to Brian. "They" send hulls to welders to beef up transoms and gussets. Weight is one thing, but the forward pressure while under power is another...........

As far as bottom width is concerned, Koffler in Oregon, builds all kinds of jet hulls with bottom width increments of 6"............ there is a sweet spot for each bottom width to hp based on occupancy and weight. 2-stroke vs. 4-stroke, etc. Koffler builds to spec based on a person's exact needs, etc.

Go see Sutter Marine. They have G3 and Lowe.
    This is excellent spot on info.....

Go to Sutter Marine when Brian is there and chat with him.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by MThompson View Post
    Move on. Plenty of boats out there.
    Not sure about that. I've been watching for about 6 months. Plenty of sleds with prop outboards, but a jet sled in the bay area not so much. Up in in the PNW they are way more common, but lots of boats in the 15-20k range. This would be my first boat maybe my last...or not.. but at the least it's probably better to gain experience on a good used boat at a good price than a new boat at new boat prices. We're not far off, I'd be around 8k if he accepted 7800 and me paying for the compression test.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    This is excellent spot on info.....

Go to Sutter Marine when Brian is there and chat with him.

I did talk with Sutter Marine, quote was $17,000+ I could probably lower that to around $15000 with a lower model, but that was for a 16' boat which I'm not opposed to. The used one I'm looking at is an 18' boat.

Just looking up the lifespan on a yamaha jet it seems like they should run 4000 hours. What I don't know is how often they need to be serviced. I get the feeling this boat hasn't been ran much by the looks of it, going to have to ask him if he's had it serviced.

Quote Originally Posted by Bwag View Post
    Looking at this boat

https://medford.craigslist.org/boa/d...928066667.html

I've talked with the owner, asked him to get a compression test and the number of engine hours. Booking it out, new back in 2007 it sold for around 13500. 10k for a 12 year old boat/motor seems high, nada books the boat, trailer and motor between $6500-7500. I put that out there to him and he didn't dispute it, his reply was getting a new smoker craft is 20k, which it may be but were talking a 12 year old boat/motor crest liner that all be it looks to be in good shape. He said he'd take 9k but my thoughts are that's still too high, I'm thinking of offering $7800 and paying for the compression test. Am I off base on thinking 9k is too high?
    I'd be more concerned about 60/40 on an 18 foot boat. Most of the Jon style boats at 18' get pretty beefy and wide bottomed.

Not sure about that. I've been watching for about 6 months. Plenty of sleds with prop outboards, but a jet sled in the bay area not so much. Up in in the PNW they are way more common, but lots of boats in the 15-20k range. This would be my first boat maybe my last...or not.. but at the least it's probably better to gain experience on a good used boat at a good price than a new boat at new boat prices. We're not far off, I'd be around 8k if he accepted 7800 and me paying for the compression test.
    Interesting. My comment was based on the seller appearing to be difficult to deal with I guess. Didn't consider the rarity of the type of boat you're looking for. I wouldn't buy a used boat without running it first. Hope you can find what you're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by OceanSunfish View Post
    I'd be more concerned about 60/40 on an 18 foot boat. Most of the Jon style boats at 18' get pretty beefy and wide bottomed.

Had the same thoughts when I first started looking at boats, initially thought the same on this boat but this model is recommended for a 60hp tiller, so a 60/40 would be max on a jet which is what he has.

Had the same thoughts when I first started looking at boats, initially thought the same on this boat but this model is recommended for a 60hp tiller, so a 60/40 would be max on a jet which is what he has.
    Let it go...........

No way an 18 foot boat with a 70" bottom is going to perform that well with a 60-40. In a river, you don't have all day to pop up on plane.

Buy a new boat from Sutter and be happy....... the deal is that those that buy this kind of jet boat typically keep them..... You'll actually find more used ones in the Southeast too. Sutter does good work. Think twice before working with the "only game in town" dealer in the greater Portland area. Seattle area Yamaha/North River shop is king. Worth going the extra mile to have that place rig your vessel.

Small jet boats in CA are hard to power............ 4-strokes are heavy. There's a reason why Koffler and others of the same ilk sell mostly hulls minimum 18'. It's not the capacity, but the power to hull size ratio. Koffler has conducted so much R&D on shorter hull lengths (less than 18') and bottom widths that he could talk to you for days about it. Remember, the Jon style boat is not a Koffler though.
    Last edited by OceanSunfish; 08-17-2019 at 10:50 PM.