Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Overhead Two-handed fly casting for Stripers near Monterey and Santa Cruz

Here are my line specs for the Sage Method Switch rods.

8 wt: Rio Outbound T-14 custom cut, 3 ft of head cut off to get to 476 grains
    7 wt: Rio OBS 425 grains
    6 wt: RIO OBS 375 grains

The Method isn't in production anymore so if you find a rod you like ask the fly shop or rod manufacturer what they recommend for OH casting. It's important you tell them it's for this purpose.

Good luck

I've had good luck for perch using a Sage One Trout 4 wt 11'6" spey rod (really a 5 wt grain window), running line and a couple of sink tips spliced together to make a 25' shooting head (350g). It could be used for smaller stripers, but I may be under-gunned if anything of size takes it. Very easy to cast into/beyond the surfline using two hands, but for me the key is having a good stripping basket to control your line. I made one out of a plastic storage bin which was swiss-cheesed to allow water to flow out of it quickly. It works great.

Hey people,
    I just came across Echo Boost Beach 8 weight getting ready to set it up with a reel and line. I wanted to see if anyone had any experience or opinions regarding using a shooting head and what is a good reel size for balancing this rod.

I've got T12 T14 T10 all set up for my 10-foot Sage XP 8 weight I normally use and was hoping I could use the same shooting head system for the beach boost.

On my XP I fish an old Lampson original Light Speed. I was considering putting on an old large Teton 9-11 reel for better balance.

Any thoughts? I have read the recommended 300 grain line wt. for the rod.

T14 = 14 grams per foot correct? And so on for t 10, 12 etc.
    T= tungsten
    # = grams per foot.

Thanks,
    J. Ice
    Last edited by ICE; 10-29-2019 at 07:49 PM.

Hey Lee! Are we related???
    Rich

ECHO Boost Salt fly rod series......$249

https://echoflyfishing.com/project/boost-salt/
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

The Boost Salt series is actually different from the Boost Beach series. The Boost Beach are two-handed rods for overhead casting in the surf.

I bought a 7wt Boost Beach a few months ago. While I did pick up a 7wt Airflo Beach line in 7wt, I spoke to someone at Lost Coast Outfitters about using a shooting head system instead. They actually sell an outfit based on this rod, using Rio Outbound Short heads and 50# OPST Lazar running line.

For the 7wt they recommended a 9 or 10wt shooting head -- yes, that means 375 - 425 grains. I bought 40# Lazar as that is what they had at the time, and a 9wt / Sink 6 head. I did manage to catch a few surf perch on it in late summer. I like the way it casts with this setup.

I haven't tried the 10wt head in the surf yet, but it works at the casting pool, though I like the 9wt a little bit more.

As far as rod/reel balance I don't generally worry about that. I have a Lamson Remix HD 3.5 from a few years back, but for what it's worth LCO is selling Redington Behemoths with their outfits. I will say that I just sent my Remix HD back to Lamson for service after it started squeaking on retrieve ... I had been washing it in freshwater after surf sessions, but had never opened it up before. I think I should have opened it up and washed the internals out after it got dunked recently.

One thing I notice about my Boost Beach is that it has a pretty thin and fragile-looking tip. I did manage to break it (which also had to do with that reel-dunking session). Echo's service was prompt; for $35 and the cost of sending the rod back to them (Vancouver, WA -- across the river from Portland) I got a fairly quick tip replacement.

This has kind of opened my eyes to other possibilities. I recently splurged on the 6wt Redington Chromer that the guy in the video was using. It's a lighter rod than my Boost Beach and seems to overhead cast a 420 grain T14 head quite well. I have not actually fished it in the surf yet though. It seems to balance with my Lamson better than with my Boost Beach.

And the T-thing : it's actually grains per foot. Google will pull up the conversion from grains to grams and vice versa. So a 30' T14 head weighs 30 x 14 = 420 grains.

Ohhhhh...
    Grains got it interesting got to look that up grain ha ha.
    Thanks for the reply well written. Cant wait to try. I have a Rio 10 at. Shooting head I was sold for use on my 8wt but dose not cast well I've been told the Rio 10wt. Is true to wt
    And not needed to over size to the rod. If that makes sense.

Thanks again
    J. Ice

Yep, there is a Wikipedia article on grain weight, again google is your friend. I had no idea what that was until I started fly fishing

I don't know, you might give that 10wt shooting head a few more tries. Rio OBS in 10wt is 425 grains, so it is way overweighted for the AFTMA standard. But with two handed rods, you have to disregard that and look at the grain weight instead pretty much. Try checking out Echo's two handed casting video.

https://vimeo.com/189858723

The other thing I found that helps is to just try casting only the head at first, to get a feel for it loading.

I was also astonished at how slick that Lazar running line is. Ed Ward of OPST has a video on youtube which explains how to set a reel up with it pretty well. Some UV cure glue for the knot really helps, too (see his video).

Hi Rich
    I sent you a private message.

thx
    Lee

Got it!
    Replied back.
    Rich