Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: High Sierra Trout

Fabulous photos . . . as always.

Super shots. Oddly enough I started from Crabtree the day you posted and just got back last night. Super tired. Took four days, got out to Huckleberry and back, with some side excursions. Mosquitoes were very enthusiastic indeed . Brought some homebrew foam damselflies and dragonflies and found them popular with the lake dwellers.

I prefer Kennedy Meadows in late season, after the resort closes in October. Quiet and cool, though the days are shorter, and free parking in their lot. Sometimes a dusting of new snow adds some spice.

Right on! Way to get out there. Sounds like we spend time doing the same things in the same places. Speaking of that - I saw a guy while I was hiking who I met at Mount Whitney in 2016. I don’t know him and saw him only that one time at Whitney but he recognized me. Crazy. He was going from Kennedy to Tilden Lake.

Two days to Huckleberry is a pretty good pace. I camped at Wood the first night and then did a long loop from there to Huckleberry. You probably recognize some of the places in the photos. I did also fish damsels in there. A few fish were feeding on them at Huckleberry but mostly they were cruising the flats looking for whatever they could find so I stayed with the sinking line and wooly bugger. Bad mosquitoes and good fishing seem to happen at the same time.
    Last edited by John H; 08-06-2019 at 02:41 PM.

I think next time I will plan for a couple days at Huckleberry. My first day was similar to yours, except I was unable to cope with the camping situation at Wood and dragged myself on to Red Can, which was very nice but fishless, as far as I could tell (had been there in 2017 and thought the same). But I was so tired by then I just didn't care.

It was my first time to Huckleberry and I was seriously wowed. Around 9pm or so after I'd finished dinner and ready to turn in there was a trico spinner fall (had never seen them before), and the tiny bugs were seemingly falling out of the sky and coating my stuff in them. Which was interesting because I was sleeping out ... (the weather was just so nice, unlike the last time I went during a thunderstorm cycle).

I have not been to Red Can but was guessing it was without fish. I like your lake shot. I assume it is from the west end of Huckleberry but maybe it is Red Can. Looks like you got some nice fish. The bugs put me in my tent by 7:00 most nights. I have gotten in the habit of going to sleep early and getting up as soon as it is light. I used to live for the evening bite but that has changed.

Yes, the first shot is from the west end of the lake. In the morning I headed down around the outlet, crossed the creek and walked around to the other end, taking the maintained trail back to Lertora (I'd taken the unmaintained trail down from there and it was actually in surprisingly good shape, with cairns in many places).

I remember vainly trying to brush the tricos off my bag and watching more and more accumulate. In the light of my headlamp I could see black ants carrying off little trico carcasses. I imagine the fish were just as happy...

Here is Red Can Lake. I found it quite scenic; probably great for swimming, and a nice jump-off point for exploring some other cross-country destinations. I saw lots of insects, but no signs of trout eating them.

Cross country heading around Wood, down to the trail to N Fork Cherry Creek, Cow Meadow Lake, etc.

Another shot heading back up to Lertora from Huckleberry

Now that the aches and pains have subsided a bit I'm imagining my next trip

Beautiful. A long hard winter up there does wonders! Seeing all the lakes full to the brim is incredible. Thanks for sharing.