Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High Sierra Trout

Default High Sierra Trout

I hiked and fished the Sierras the last week of July. I went in at the Crabtree trailhead and spent eight days in Emigrant Wilderness and a small corner of Yosemite. Great time to be in the mountains as long as you don't mind paying the mosquito tax. Water everywhere, plenty of snow still around and plants and animals trying to make the most of the short summer. I found some pods of feeding fish, spotted some nice cruisers, caught a couple of pretty nice ones and took a zero at one lake. Quite a trip.

Beautiful place to walk and fish.

Someday I would like to walk along the top of that ridge and look across Northern Yosemite.

Morning sun on the end of the granite and the beginning of the Eastern Sierra.

Running down the dream. My bug protection suit and some high quality trail.

Some trout trying to make it happen while the flows are good.

A couple of spawners in a meadow stream. Had to go into stealth mode for this shot.

Nice cruising rainbow. Blends in perfectly with the bottom.

I love the big afternoon sky. Makes you want to be out there living large.

This fish was gulping mayflies. It took four flies to fool him. I thought I might not get him but a size 14 parachute adams was close enough. Miracle that I did not spook him.

That is a great backpacking trout. No big deal on the Lower Sac but a trophy at 8500 feet in the Sierras. Bead head wooly bugger.

Brook trout release.

The endangered Sierra yellow legged frog. Found him at a small fishless lake. This guy is a big part of the move away from planting. Probably a good thing but it is still nice to find lakes with spawning habitat and a population of grabby fish.

He was a pretty cooperative subject.

Some guy set this down next to the stream and walked off without it in about 1975.

Stumbled onto this place while on an off trail route. Yellowhammer Camp established in 1922. Several abandoned buildings and equipment. Kind of a ghost town although I think the Crabtree pack station is going in there now.
    Last edited by John H; 10-13-2019 at 09:49 AM.

As usual, a very inspiring post and photos...................Thanks John.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Great post and pictures! Love the high sierras.

Great pictures of some beautiful scenery and surprisingly sizable fish!

Thanks for sharing.

Rich

YESSSSS!!!
    Yahoooooo!!!!!

Absolutely awesome!

I would've just had fun watching all those fish finning around that stream........... That area has got to be incredible right now after that long winter.

I've started at Bell mostly. Do you have any insight as to the difference between the two starting points?

Neither new or improved, but now in Redmond OR

Beautiful shots John. The shot of the shallow gravelled bottom with trout lined up reminds of the outfall of a lake I used to hike into in Colorado. The prettiest cutthroats would line up like that. Nice find of the yellow legs.

Wow, those are toads (the fish, not the frogs) for high elevation. Great photos!

John

Sunfish -

I think the walk from Bell is a little further but I have not started there. I have gone in at Kennedy which is okay but the drive is another half hour or something like that. I went in at Cherry Lake once which was terrible - long drive and long walk. Crabtree is pretty good but I have been in there a few times so I need to shake things up and find a new route for next time. I saw a guy going from Kennedy to Tilden Lake. I might try something like that. Hetch Hetchy has access to good lakes and the Yosemite permitting has never been problem for me. You start at 3900 feet so it is a sweat fest at the beginning but it does have the Yosemite cachet.

Leavitt Meadow is a good place to go in. I went to Fremont Lake from there a few times and had good trips. They used to plant Fremont and I took a tube in there and had a great time. It is only nine miles and there is a pack station if you want to ride in. The plantings stopped and then started so I don’t know if there are fish there now. Fremont has no spawning area so it is reliant on planting unless brook trout get in there.
    Last edited by John H; 08-03-2019 at 09:02 AM.

John R -

Those are toads by backpack standards. I spotted and caught another pretty nice one and there was a family with a couple of boys there when I caught it. Hopefully those kids got the fishing bug from seeing that and get after their dad to get them a fly rod. They seemed pretty interested and took my picture.

I did some thinking about the biggest backpack fish I have caught. Probably cutthroat in Yellowstone on Slough Creek but that is kind of a different category. That is a cool place but I think it is pretty crowded now.