Thread: Leech Lake

Default Leech Lake

Anybody have any insight as to how Spooner Lake is being managed for fishing? It always seems to have a healthy habitat for trout given weed growth and entomology.

It's proximity, for most, puts it into the classification of a destination lake and perhaps too many better trout fisheries are passed by just to get to Spooner.

While it's right off the "highway", it's still requires a hike with a 'vessel' of some sort to fish it............. shoreline weeded in too much for effective shore or wade fishing.

Is all about too much output for the potential yield?

Pretty lake, especially, when all you have to do is drive a few miles up or down the highway too see complete impacted usage of Lake Tahoe.

Spooner Lake is at 7,000 feet which might be good for August fishing.

I have heard a little talk about Spooner Lake but if it is in Nevada? you need a NV fishing license?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default My take on Spooner

Spooner Lake is between Carson City and Lake Tahoe just off of Hwy 50 in Nevada..........yeah, just a stones throw away from me.

I've fished it a handful of times and I'm not really impressed.
    The weeds are out of control, the water has never been clear when I've been there, and the lake is waaaayyyy over-populated with trash chubs.

The last time I was there the only open (no weeds to surface) area to fish was the very southern cove nearest Hwy 50.
    The rest of the lake was a surface weed mess with less than a foot visibility in the water.
    It was quite the effort to kick in a float tube, fighting the wind and weeds, to that cove from the day use area.

I did catch fish, but with the ugly conditions with the weeds and water clarity I might not go back again.

I've been told that there is a winter kill there and NDOW stocks 'bows and tigers randomly each year.

My take is that Spooner isn't managed for fishing, but is focused on being the hub for hikers and mountain bikers that swarm the trails in the area.

Oh, and they PROUDLY charge a $ 10.00 day use entrance fee, ($ 8.00 for Nevada residents).

Just my take, others may disagree.

Bob

Thanks Bob

What is your closest fishing to CC?

I ask a friend who is near retirement if he "was going to ride it out in California" the other day?

He said he was moving to Carson City.....

He said Nevada has no State income tax.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post

Hi Bill,

There's some put and take ponds nearby that can be fun for a quick fish fix all within 30 minutes.
    Hobart Reservoir is about five miles west of town up a VERY NASTY, skinny, steep dirt 4x4 road where you park and then hike down about 1/2 mile to the lake..........been there, done that once............the hike out was brutal on me.................
    The Truckee, (which I don't fish for fear of snapping a leg or twisting an ankle), is about 45 minutes.
    And there's Martis Lake..............very small window to fish and we all know about it's decline.........
    Lake Tahoe, which I've heard can trout fish well at certain times at certain beaches, is about 45 minutes as well.
    Of course Pyramid is an hour away, 60 miles and change from my driveway.
    The Carson River(s) here in and just out of town get stocked occasionally.
    Indian Creek Reservoir is just a bit over an hour drive from here.
    Lahontan Reservoir (warm water fishery) is an hour away. I did that last summer and caught LOADS of carp and wipers, albeit nothing larger than 12-15 inches.
    I think the Walker(s) are somewhere in the two hours drive time too (I haven't ventured down that far yet).

In my "Hwy 88 Which of these lakes to fish !!!" post I really would like to find a "cold clear water lake" to fish during the heat of summer at about an hours +- drive.

Boy, what I'd give to have a Fuller or a McCumber lake nearby..............................

I'm sure there's other places I've missed but we've only been here in Carson City just a little over three years now.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    Thanks Bob

I ask a friend who is near retirement if he "was going to ride it out in California" the other day?

He said he was moving to Carson City.....

He said Nevada has no State income tax.
    Read a couple of recent AARP articles that stated that Reno is the number 1 area for retirees fleeing N California (especially SF Bay Area). Couple of over 55 developments near Verdi. BUT house are not cheap. Have some friends from Granite Bay who moved there because it is a short drive back to see family. Cheaper cost of living, plus no state income tax, lower sales tax and gas is 50cents a gallon less... Plus, utilities and garbage are drastically lower... and shoveling snow saves going to the gym.

Like Clark County gas prices! That big warehouse store in Carson City has gas at under $3 gal