I’m sure many of you are also receiving updates, but with so much going on I think it’s all too easy to loose focus on certain issues. This one is a pretty big one for me, and hopefully you’ll all forgive me for passing this email update along. For those not aware of what’s at stake, please find time in your day to day routine to learn a bit more about the area, the fishing, the proposed project, the concerns, and the lack of common sense regarding the overall process. It would be impossible to overstate what a tragedy this would be if (when) there was contamination from the mine into these pristine waters

..Dear Jason,

In a breathtaking display of collusion and corruption, political appointees at the EPA announced they are withdrawing safeguards for Bristol Bay. This decision ignores science, violates human rights and runs roughshod over governmental checks and balances in a blatant attempt to favor a foreign mining company.

Lisa Murkowski has promised us a rigorous process, we need her to step up now!

Over the past few weeks, agency experts have leveled heavy criticism at the Army Corps Draft Environmental Impact Statement. The United States Fish and Wildlife Service went so far as to write that the DEIS is: "so inadequate that it precludes meaningful analysis."

Even the EPA issued a highly critical review of the DEIS, noting a laundry list of inadequacies and failures. The political leadership at EPA has just ignored their colleagues and thrown the hard work of their own agency away.

How can Senator Murkowski continue to sit on the sidelines?

For years, Senator Lisa Murkowski has avoided taking a clear position against Pebble, instead advocating for clear, transparent, and science based processes. Today’s announcement is the opposite, this is clearly a political decision that puts Alaska jobs and our fisheries at great risk.

The clock is ticking and the next steps are in Senator Murkowski’s hands, because the process is clearly broken.

Defend Bristol Bay
707 A Street
Anchorage, AK 99502
United States.

Here is a link from “Defend Bristol Bay” to lobby Lisa Murkowski
https://secure.ngpvan.com/FDMRI7f2x0KPkxj2Xn8MEA2

Or if you prefer to contact Lisa Murkowski separately:
https://www.murkowski.senate.gov/contact/email

(FWIW, I’ve found that Lisa Murkowski does actually listen and respond to well constructed emails and phone messages better than a lot of elected officials. Though I’m not exactly a fan of hers, I do have to give credit that she has taken feedback better than most, and fisheries are a high priority issue of hers)
JB