Thread: bug ID ??

Default bug ID ??

I fished Manzanita Lake this past week. One early afternoon I noticed some bug struggling on the surface and went over to investigate. This bug was HUGE. It would estimate at least 1 1/2" in length. It had bright yellow antennae, yellow eyes or maybe bright yellow just behind the eyes, and a very thick black body. The fairly long legs were a short black stripe followed alternately by a bright yellow stripe. The wings (definitely not caddis wings) were stubbier than I thought should be for a bug this size.

I didn't want to touch it as I didn't know what it was. The bug latched onto my rod and then I lifted it onto the side bag of my pontoon boat. I got out my camera to take a couple of pictures of it but the darned thing flew off before I could get a picture.

For all I know (which admittedly is not much) this bug might not be aquatic at all and just some terrestrial creature. The fish showed no interest in it at all.

Bruce

Might be able to find it here.

https://www.insectidentification.org...ate=California

Please let us know if you do.

Thanks,
    Dan

Dan

Great reference site for insect ID. Thanks for sharing this. I went through all of them and didn't find the bug I rescued. But my guess would be that it is some kind of beetle from the looks of beetles I found on the site. With all the dying trees around the lake I am sorry I saved the life of this "beetle."

Bruce

Google “cicada”

Gitt

Your suggestion of a cicada looks very similar to what I saw but the coloring is wrong. My critter definitely had yellow antennae and yellow eyes. Maybe mine is a subspecies of this cicada. Thanks for your help.

Interesting. I grew up back east, and cicadas were present all summer; you could hear their "songs" pretty much everywhere.

The coloration I saw back east was different depending on the "brood" -- they spend between one and 17 years underground. I personally saw the annual variety, which was green, and the 13 year species, which was red / orange. And of course you only saw the 13 year brood, well, every 13 years

I've only seen cicadas very occasionally out in California, mostly their molted shells -- they emerge from the ground, shed their skins, and spend the rest of their brief adult lives mating, singing, flying and laying eggs. I have never seen any that were yellow in color, but I don't know the species out here very well.

Cicada song and fireflies -- two of the very few things I miss about living back east (but definitely not the humidity or snow/ice). Brings back some memories