Thread: Mokolumne River

Default Mokolumne River

Caught this beauty this morning Euro-Nymphing. Flows out of Camanche reservoir are finally coming down enough to get on the water.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Steelie.jpg 
Views:	697 
Size:	222.4 KB 
ID:	14789  

Quote Originally Posted by kmastro View Post
    Caught this beauty this morning Euro-Nymphing. Flows out of Camanche are finally coming down enough to get on the water.
    You did good . Caught 2 on Tuesday . your the man . hope your well!!! Mine where smaller than yours . More like a Half-pounder.
    Troutaholic61

Quote Originally Posted by stefanoflo View Post
    you did good . caught 2 on Tuesday . your the man . hope your well!!! Mine where smaller than yours . more like a Half ponder
    Hey Stefano, how are you? Hooked three that day and landed 2. The other was in the neighborhood of 11 to 12 inches

Pretty fish. So is 850cfs a good flow to float that river say in a 13ft pontoon?

Answer is yes. Not sure if 850cfs is ideal for the fishing but no big deal to float. Actually a crappy float with lots of frog water. Halfway through the float I suddenly remembered why I hadn't went back since I floated it 15 years ago in a 9 ft pontoon.
    To cap off the day, I was met with the fact that you couldn't drive anywhere near the water at Stillman McGee park. There was a small gap in the fence that was just wide enough to get my trailer through so I unhitched it and rolled it down the the river by hand with the help of my sons. Got the raft on the trailer and we pushed it back up. Pretty good workout but a cluster indeed. I would ask if anyone knows a better place to pull out but I'm not going back.

Quote Originally Posted by kmastro View Post
    Hey Stefano, how are you? Hooked three that day and landed 2. The other was in the neighborhood of 11 to 12 inches
    You did really Good. I'm good, been hitting the Moke in Jackson. Freezer needs to be fed!
    Just waiting for the Salmon to come up In October. Might be an early steelhead run this year. I'm thinking mid-September might be a good start of the steelhead and salmon run if the flows stay at 800 CFS or so like they are now . Might be an early Fun Season
    Troutaholic61

I have been wanting to float and fish it in our new fishing raft soon. After hearing about issues getting a raft trailer down, I am hoping someone can advise on both out in and take out access boat ramp situations??? Thanks in advance! Feel free to pm me.

There's a campground of some sort at Stillman with a camp host. I wasn't able to make contact with this person when I was trying to figure out my situation. I wanted to ask the host if there was a takeout nearby but no luck. There must be a takeout somewhere because I know of at least one guide that advertises drift boat trips. Then again the takeout he uses may be some sort of private access.
    It's a mystery for now. I hope you can figure it out.

All the takeouts I am aware of are 100% private including the guides.

Stillman used to have the $10 handshake to get the gate open but that was years ago.

Not sure if that is possbile today but def need a rig to get your raft up to the parking lot.