Thread: 50 years of change in salt water fly fishing.

Default 50 years of change in salt water fly fishing.

In the past 50 years everything has gotten better:

Fly rods have really improved with the new aerospace fibers and resins.

Fly reels have gotten lighter with sealed drags.

Fly lines have become more evolved too with lots of options now.

Leader materials have become better, stronger and more diverse too.

One of the biggest improvements have been the salt water flies today.

Fly fishing clothing has improved too.

We have better Polarized glasses.

Hooks have improved greatly and they come sharp out of the box.

One more thing is on average, salt water anglers are casting better too.

Another great thing are thousands of YouTube videos on salt water fly fishing and fly tying.

Fresh water bass fly fishers have an easier time moving over to salt water fly fishing.

The rise of fresh water Striper fishing has opened up many to using bigger fly tackle and bigger flies.

Baja, Mexico is probable the best destination for a first salt water experience.

Loreto and the East Cape in the spring, summer and fall are very popular.

Christmas Island would be another bucket list destination for wading for Bonefish and other species.

**Let me know if you need any help setting up and planning a good trip to the salt water.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

The best thing about salt is the addiction. You hook a big fish, it breaks you off, you want to come back for more. Land one and you are all smiles and then look for another one the variety makes it so interesting.
    Don Memmer

Yes Don......it is amazing the effect it has on people.

You are very lucky to live where it is possible daily.

My old friends Ralph & Dyna Osborn lived on the Big Island and had a coffee business?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

A few years back I was fishing along the coast fishing for ling cod. We came across a column of black rockfish that was maybe 6 ft in diameter and went from 10 ft to 70 ft deep. I had a 9 wt and decided to try it. That was one the most amazing times I’ve ever had with a fly rod. The pull of a 2-4 rockfish was so strong compared to a freshwater fish of the same size.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr T View Post
    A few years back I was fishing along the coast fishing for ling cod. We came across a column of black rockfish that was maybe 6 ft in diameter and went from 10 ft to 70 ft deep. I had a 9 wt and decided to try it. That was one the most amazing times I’ve ever had with a fly rod. The pull of a 2-4 rockfish was so strong compared to a freshwater fish of the same size.
    It seems all saltwater fish exceap Steelhead and Salmon will kick your ass. my 2 cents

Carl Blackledge

True Bill, the change in five decades has been enormous. I mean look at Fly lines alone! I still get a buzz when I see the dropped jaws of Trout fisherman when they hook into their first Bonefish...."how long has this been going on?" is the cry.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    In the past 50 years everything has gotten better:

Fly rods have really improved with the new aerospace fibers and resins.

Fly reels have gotten lighter with sealed drags.

Fly lines have become more evolved too with lots of options now.

Leader materials have become better, stronger and more diverse too.

One of the biggest improvements have been the salt water flies today.

Fly fishing clothing has improved too.

We have better Polarized glasses.

Hooks have improved greatly and they come sharp out of the box.

One more thing is on average, salt water anglers are casting better too.

Another great thing are thousands of YouTube videos on salt water fly fishing and fly tying.

Fresh water bass fly fishers have an easier time moving over to salt water fly fishing.

The rise of fresh water Striper fishing has opened up many to using bigger fly tackle and bigger flies.

Baja, Mexico is probable the best destination for a first salt water experience.

Loreto and the East Cape in the spring, summer and fall are very popular.

Christmas Island would be another bucket list destination for wading for Bonefish and other species.

**Let me know if you need any help setting up and planning a good trip to the salt water.

Bill,

Without sounding negative, I agree 100% that the tools of the trade are better now then we could have ever dreamed of, The problem is lack of fish in most areas. Think of Hat creek trout-Striper's in the Delta, Salmon and Steelhead in the local river's...Just sad. If you don't book a trip out of town your mostly spinning your wheels-My 2 cent

Carl Blackledge

The visual aspect of fishing in the salt is absolutely incredible. The ability to sight fish a larger species with the speed and accuracy of their predator-prey instincts is something that stands out on the saltwater experience. Watching a large big eye jack intercept an errant cast, targeting a school of jacks with small clousers while being poled across a flat in pursuit of permit, or a redfish chasing your offering are but a few observations that stand out in my memory over any freshwater experience. The closest in comparison are grabby silvers and shad but in most cases you are not within the visual range of the pursuit and grab. Once while targeting a pod of bonefish, our guide set up a hand line with a bonefish that was not going to be revived. It was offered to a good sized four foot plus barracuda waiting outside the pod. I have yet to see a faster display of speed and power and a turn on a dime 90 degree retreat. Our guide tried to stop the barracuda's run and was rewarded with deep 90 lb mono burns to his hands. This all occurred in a matter of seconds if that. I have yet to witness anything comparable anywhere. Even casting to bonefish in gin clear moving water over a white sandy bottom through a non shaded cut in mangroves of moving current had me comparing it to sight fishing to holding trout in an alpine creek. As Carl refers to diminish fish populations locally with the exception of special times, most of these locations and experiences are offered solely via destination trips. Even with destination trips you are at the whims of the seasonality and definitely the weather provided. If the tug is the drug, the saltwater experience is tough to beat. It can be frustrating if you are still into high numbers while pursuing a species that are more selective. Standing in front of a boat that is in hunt mode for an elusive fish does not rate high for some anglers. Just know that there are other opportunities available when out there.

You hit the nail on the head. CB