Thread: My version of the Airhead

Default My version of the Airhead

Been working on a version of the Airhead, not to be confused with the Wiggy Airhead which I tie for Baja.
    Too me the head has a little too much point but I'm working on that to come up with a flatter/round head.
    The finished fly photo doesn't do the fly just. It was taken with my iPhone when I got home from work.
    I use an "0" ring to keep the shape.

The question that people have been asking me is "Am I going to start selling them?" Well after some thought, I have decided to perfect it a little more before I put it on the market. Right now, it takes me around 5 minutes to tie, I want to cut the time to where it's profitable.
    Jay Murakoshi

Commercial Fly Tier

Travel Coordinator

Web site: http://www.fliesunlimited.com/

Email us at: jaysflies@me.com

Call us at (831) 809-4221

Neither new or improved, but now in Redmond OR

Nice tie, Jay. What are you using for the glue to shape the head?

I tie these for Yucatan tarpon and they work very reliably, especially early in the morning when the rollers are cruising along the edges of the mangroves and under the trees covered in guano. I use a 1/4 inch section cut from a large soda straw to hold the material. Then I coat the head with thinned Goop, make it the viscosity of latex paint. The head is hollow and squishy. I stick the eyes on while the Goop is still tacky and trace a small bead around the edge of the eye and they hold fairly well. A frisky tarpon will still tear an eye off.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yucatan airhead dark with ruler.jpg 
Views:	407 
Size:	638.9 KB 
ID:	14786

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yucatan airhead tan with ruler.jpg 
Views:	334 
Size:	401.7 KB 
ID:	14787
    Last edited by DLJeff; 07-21-2019 at 05:31 PM.

Default Airhead Pattern

I like all of the Airheads you guys have tied. I have some Charlies Airhead flies left after fishing at La Paz and compared them to these. Only small differences noted. First, as Jay mentioned, is the rounded head on Charlies Airhead and, second, the adhesive is applied past the bend of the hook on Charlies fly (to keep the wing from fouling the hook??). Keep up the good work....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

On one of Jay's trips to La Paz Jim Christensen gave me one medium size Umpqua (Bisharat) Airhead in 1/0 in brown over white.

The Roosterfish really loved it and after 15 schoolie size fish it still looked like new.

The Bisharat/Umpqua Airheads have a molded synthetic clear helmet like head which makes them a little different that home grown versions.

Umpqua made them in size #3/0, 1/0 and 2.

Just called Charlie Bisharat and he said that Umpqua was not making his Airheads or Pole Dancers anymore.

Some are still out there on the Internet for sale new.

https://www.umpqua.com/products/flie...%84%A2-airhead
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Bill,

This fall I plan on tying a ton of the original looking air heads and I will be able to offer them at a very cheap price in almost any color you want. This year in Loreto I spent a lot of time at the Rooster holes experimenting with different colors of tans and browns. The lighter colored Tan airhead with no flash was the most effective fly I have ever used for Roosters.

Carl Blackledge

Bill,

As I told you in an earlier message I tied a ton of these in different sizes and colors and offer them to my fishing buddies for sale at about 1/2 the prize of the original flies, I also sold them to many fly shops here in California. The first 500 sold out in about a week, Now tying my 2nd generation. I tie one fly I call the "plane Jane" in a light Tan in 3 different sizes from about 3 inches to 5 1/2 it should just murder the Rooster's and i have already tested them on Dorado, The Dorado seem to love them also. I have another larger one in Blue and white that should work great for laid up Bill fish. I have had a lot of fun tying these Air heads. Carl Blackledge
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Airhead 6 Colors.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	119.0 KB 
ID:	15190  

Carl:

As you know i'm a big believer in your airhead flies. Good news is that they work well. Bad news is that we get some really big fish in Magdalena Bay down here in Baja and they head right into the roots for an instant airhead haircut. That tan rattle fly you threw in on my last dozen got hit on the second cast and produced my first fly caught palometa. Luckily it was only an 8# fish and I had gone to 20# tippet so I was able to wrestle him away from shore. We get them to 30# on live shrimp as well as 20# snook so the big ones are almost impossible to land. I'll be ordering a bunch of the rattle flies when I get home later this month. Keep up the good work.

Gary in Loreto

Gary,

Sure glad you liked the Air heads i tied up for you, You will love the new "plane Jane" should be the perfect fly for those hard to catch Rooster's.

The guys who are going to Brazil for peacock bass this winter cleaned me out of all the big Black and Black and Purple flies I had with rattles. I am trying to figure out a way to tie the Airheads indoors right now so i don't pass out by using all the toxic chemicals i need to use to create these beauties. When you come home give me a call I am sure I will have it figured out. Gary if you get a chance go to my Face book page . Carl
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Warm Red & Yellow Airheads.JPG 
Views:	341 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	15193   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chartreuse Airhead 1.jpg 
Views:	382 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	15194