Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wrights Lake

Default Wrights Lake

I hiked to Island and Twin Lakes this week. They are a few miles beyond Wrights Lake in Desolation Wilderness. I went mostly to hike but I thought I could get some photos and maybe some fish. Beautiful alpine areas and a nice place to hike. Given the easy access I would expect it to be a little more over run with people but maybe I need to go back on the weekend for that. I did get some photos but it appeared to me they were in the process of eradicating the fish from the lakes. I saw what appeared to be a government issue net with a few small fish in it. I have seen this in Sierra lakes before and I think they are trying to restore the red legged frog. I saw someone coming down from a nearby lake and they said they caught fish so maybe I will go there next time.

I bought an over under dome and took this shot. Could be useful for fish shots but we'll see.

Water is pouring out of everywhere right now.

Nice clear pool.

My dog taking in the view.

Net at the lake outlet with a couple of fish in it.

I love the color of beer. And almost everything else about it.

Nice shots, I hike there quite often. Next time you go find the “enchanted falls” It’s not listed on the forest service map where you sign in though. I hope they don’t do the frog reintroduction there but you can’t fight it.

I love beer too John. Everything IPA, Pale Ale, Stout, Porter...'cept the price of a pint nowadays.

Nice shots, as always.

Eric

Eric - do you have a backpack trip on the schedule this summer?

CM -I am not sure how I can find “enchanted falls” if it is not on the map. Maybe I will know it when I see it. Maybe you can give me a clue.
    Last edited by John H; 07-23-2019 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    Eric - do you have a backpack trip on the schedule this summer?

CM -I am not sure how I can find “enchanted falls” if it is not on the map. Maybe I will know it when I see it. Maybe you can give me a clue.
    Hi John,

Mostly car camping this summer. And a few day trips to
    Grouse Ridge area to re-investigate. It used to be great.

Had to put off the horseback trip til next year to the Emigrant.
    Can’t wait to do it again.

How bout you? You walked the Emigrant and beyond last year?
    That’s a haul for the legs.

Eric

I am going to Emigrant/Yosemite very soon. It is a long haul. Every year I wonder What I have left. The first day is a long one but after that the trail days are not too bad so hopefully lots of fishing or climbing for a view and some photos.

Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    I am going to Emigrant/Yosemite very soon. It is a long haul. Every year I wonder What I have left. The first day is a long one but after that the trail days are not too bad so hopefully lots of fishing or climbing for a view and some photos.
    I'll look forward to that report. Your pics last year were great. At one time I wanted to go to Huckleberry, but that's 21 miles from
    the Kennedy Meadows pack station...and my arse is about done when we hit Emigrant Lake at 15 miles.

And since I never ride horses, it does a number on you. I could walk it but would need more than a
    week to make it worthwhile. And I don't want to walk it.

Eric

Nice shots ! I guess I'll cross Wright off my list of fishing destinations. Still pretty though.

don't know why you would cross it out. These shots are not of wrights lake, you don;t have to hike to wrights if that is the reason.
    Enchanted pools/ falls is a little north east from beauty lake on the south fork silver creek.
    https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.Y...95&w=134&h=112

Years ago I hiked up over the headwall from Island Lake to fish the headwaters of the Rubicon. Took about an hour starting at Island Lake, not too bad of a trek. Turned out that I was too early and the Rube was still flowing underneath the snow. You can spot the x-country rt up by reading the topo map very carefully. The fish in the lakes were still there then but getting few and far between.
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.