Thread: My aunt and uncle had a cabin up on hwy 50.

Default My aunt and uncle had a cabin up on hwy 50.

60 years ago when I was around 14 years old we would go to that old cabin for the weekend in the summer.

The was my aunt, uncle, 2 cousins, my mom, dad and us 4 kids so there were about 10 of us up there.

We went up Saturday morning and my brothers and I had the job of catching small trout in the South Fork of the American River.

My uncle had an old bamboo fly rod, reel and line up there so we used that and his wicker creel.

We walked across the street to the river and then fished until we got 10 trout.

Then Sunday morning my uncle would fix a huge breakfast of eggs, bacon, potatoes and everyone got a small trout too.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Great old memories. As we get older and older we no longer need all these toys, and rods, and reels. Memories we keep forever.

Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

I guess it is sad that we have to get older to appreciate what we have.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Pretty good chance it was a forest service cabin. There are a lot of them along 50. They started the cabins in the forest program in 1915 to get people out using the forest. You own the building and have a lease to keep it on the NF land. I think many of those cabins on 50 were built in the 1920’s. Most have been remodeled extensively but some are substantially original.

Do you know where it was?

It is still there and about a mile above Camp Sacramento but on the opposite side of the highway.

My cousin still has it and it is in a little better shape than it was 60 years ago.

I think some of those cabins had a 99 year lease from the USFS?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

What a wonderful place to grow up Bill....I know the exact location of the cabin...my parents for years had a cabin at milestone 42 just below Strawberry. In the late 50's and 60's I fished the area from Strawberry down on S. Fork. Just up the road from you was our secret spot...the little creek next to H 50 at Sierra Ski Ranch. We also fished Kyburz and Silver fork plus a bunch of other creeks in the area. I used my dads green glass fly rod and his wicker creel. Still have the creel....unknown on the rod...Back then it was a special and different time....Yes it was a 99 year ground lease...it something destroyed your cabin like a big tree you could not rebuild....my parents lost one cabin in milestone 36 to a tree in 1952...could not rebuild

I bought 1/6 of a forest service cabin near Kyburz a couple of years ago. It is pretty rustic. You have to walk in to it across a pedestrian bridge. I like the walk in part. It is nice once you are in there but last year we had to make deck repairs and I had to carry in 2300 pounds of lumber. There are some small trout in the creek. Good place to have some barbecue and it makes a good base for day hikes in the area. Best to go during the week if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyt View Post
    What a wonderful place to grow up Bill....I know the exact location of the cabin...my parents for years had a cabin at milestone 42 just below Strawberry. In the late 50's and 60's I fished the area from Strawberry down on S. Fork. Just up the road from you was our secret spot...the little creek next to H 50 at Sierra Ski Ranch. We also fished Kyburz and Silver fork plus a bunch of other creeks in the area. I used my dads green glass fly rod and his wicker creel. Still have the creel....unknown on the rod...Back then it was a special and different time....Yes it was a 99 year ground lease...it something destroyed your cabin like a big tree you could not rebuild....my parents lost one cabin in milestone 36 to a tree in 1952...could not rebuild
    I guess we were pretty blessed to be born back then and live in California. Thanks for the memorable post....
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    I bought 1/6 of a forest service cabin near Kyburz a couple of years ago. It is pretty rustic. You have to walk in to it across a pedestrian bridge. I like the walk in part. It is nice once you are in there but last year we had to make deck repairs and I had to carry in 2300 pounds of lumber. There are some small trout in the creek. Good place to have some barbecue and it makes a good base for day hikes in the area. Best to go during the week if you can.
    Nice John....

My friend knew someone who has a cabin at mile stone 36 on Hwy 50.

Once on a Friday night we drove up after work and parked at their cabin and got access to the river.

We fished upstream into a canyon stretch and had some nice action.

When we got back down to the cabin they had arrived for the weekend and were barbecuing on the deck.

We really enjoyed having an unexpected hot dog and a beer.

This always made me want a cabin up Hwy 50 because it is so close to Sacramento.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    It is still there and about a mile above Camp Sacramento but on the opposite side of the highway.

My cousin still has it and it is in a little better shape than it was 60 years ago.

I think some of those cabins had a 99 year lease from the USFS?

I believe so, but they also have a 20 year permit renewal timeframe where the F S can increase the yearly fees. I think they are capped around $5600 a year.
    "For years, every time he stopped at the house to collect his paper money, it was the same routine. The old man in the wheelchair would ask him how he'd like it if he took him fishing and showed him a few things. He always said he'd like that.
    When the old man finally passed away, his wife gave the kid a box of flies. He has them today, tucked away in a closet, never to be fished."

Walt C.<---------------------------- not me, though I wish I had written it.