Thread: Montana report

Default Montana report

We just returned from 7 days in Montana. The word of the trip was Severe Weather. We ran into some hellacious thunder, lightning and wind while we were there. In short, fishing was marginal during our stay. Fishing up to just a couple of days before was fantastic. Our first 2 days were the first 90 degree days that they had seen all summer, and our outfitter attributed the change in fishing to that weather. We have known him for 12 years, so he can't get BS by us anymore . . . who knows?

We stayed up in Philipsburg, at the Forks of Rock Creek, for the first time in our 12 years of going back. The West Fork of Rock Creek went right off our deck. Pburg is a fun little Gold Rush era town, like so many of those in the Sierra's. Three reasonable restaurants, a pub, a craft brewery and a good bar in town, what more could one ask for?

We wade fished Flint Creek, Rock Creek and the West Fork of Rock Creek, higher up in the mountains. We drifted the Upper and Lower Clark Fork and the North Fork of the Blackfoot. We were supposed to float the main stem of the Blackfoot, but upon arrival to the river after a 2 hour drive, found it chocolate brown from a thunderstorm induced mudslide from the night before.

The Clark Fork did not fish well for us this time. We got caught in a microburst on the Upper which just churned up the river with the 40+ mph wind and utter downpour. On the next day on the Lower, we got caught in 30 mph winds, which quickly had the drift boats making a beeline for the riverside Water's Edge bar, where we could drown our sorrows and re hydrate while the guides had to row out for 3 more miles to make the takeout. We made their job easier by staying at the bar and having them pick us up on the way home. The audible to go to the NF Blackfoot worked out pretty well as we got into some nice Cutthroat and a couple of Bull Trout.

The wade fishing on Rock Creek and especially the upper section of the West Fork of Rock Creek was pretty good. We got into some 16"-18" Browns and Cutties on some pretty small water.

I would recommend the lodging to anyone. it is called Twisted Fork Ranch, and they have 3 rental houses, all on the banks of the West Fork of Rock Creek. The location is great for wade fishing, but does involve a bit of driving for float days.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190713_145545.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	4.01 MB 
ID:	14771

Name:	Pburg.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	2.27 MB 
ID:	14772

Name:	WF Rock Creek.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	4.50 MB 
ID:	14773

The pictures show how damn dark it got when these cells developed. The one over Pburg looked like Armageddon was about to descend upon us. The whole town looked like night had fallen when this hit. All hell broke loose just after the picture. The scenery shot is from the backyard of the house, looking at the WF of Rock Creek.

All-in-all, this is always a great trip. Of the 4 of us who began going on this 12 years ago, 2 have passed away, albeit way too young. One last year at age 60, a non-smoker, he passed from lung cancer. Another, at 53, from a stroke. These have allowed us to enjoy the meanings of these trips, besides fishing, a bit more . . . the trips are certainly deeper to us than a good or bad day of fishing.

Thanks for sharing. Some years ago, I arrived the week after the summer's first stretch of 90+ degree days......... in late June! All was shaping up nicely in early June for us to hit some Salmonfly sightings too. Nope.

I was happy just to be back in Montana. The experience only reinforced my thoughts of how nice it would be to be able to spend an entire summer there and be able to adapt and adjust to to the conditions as if you were home fishing your local waters. And, not be looking over my shoulder thinking about the next place to go and in a hurry to cram it all in a week!

Glad you had a good time. P-burg has some of the best food in Montana. That cook from New York made some killer duck for me. Very nice character to that town. North Fork of the Blackfoot is awesome for wet wading. My mother in Law lives in Hamilton and I have been able to travel that area and fish so many great streams there. Love Rock Creek and the West Fork of the Bitteroot. 90 degree weather will produce t-storms. Best to fish in the mornings. Afternoons can be dangerous. Thanks for posting, Mems.
    Don Memmer

Out of curiosity, is there a difference, in any way shape or form, to the flyfishing to each immediate side of the Continental Divide in that specific area? Ennis/Helena vs. Missoula/Hamilton ? Maybe one is more 'similar' to or west slope sierras?

Maybe a difference in terrain or drainage flow, etc. ?

There are so many places to fish in Montana, I am wondering why some chose to go one place, while others chose to somewhere else. No bad place, really.

Just curious.

Great report Yubaman....thanks for sharing. Cool memories to boot.

Eric

So drainage flow for sure, everything west of the Continental Divide flows to the east, west goes westerly. Most everything west of the Divide is in forested area, east of the Divide is more open plain. The Smith, Missouri, Jefferson, Bighorn are east, maybe the Gallatin and Madison as well. The Clark Fork, Blackfoot, Big Hole, Bitterroot, Beaverhead are west of the Divide. I am probably missing a few other details relative to your question, but off the top of my head, that's about it. The current "in" river in Montana seems to be the Missouri, it has turned into a zoo out there.

Quote Originally Posted by yubaman View Post
    So drainage flow for sure, everything west of the Continental Divide flows to the east, west goes westerly. Most everything west of the Divide is in forested area, east of the Divide is more open plain. The Smith, Missouri, Jefferson, Bighorn are east, maybe the Gallatin and Madison as well. The Clark Fork, Blackfoot, Big Hole, Bitterroot, Beaverhead are west of the Divide. I am probably missing a few other details relative to your question, but off the top of my head, that's about it. The current "in" river in Montana seems to be the Missouri, it has turned into a zoo out there.
    Thanks for your observations. Now that you mention it, I see the contrasts.......... I took the "once-is-enough" looooong drive from Victor/Hamilton all the way to Sun Valley, ID. A lot of the drive reminded of the west slope of the Sierras if...... I decided to drive up and down every pass in the Sierras in one day!

The Missouri...... Is there another waterway as long and more known for its fishing than the water from that watershed? Firehole/Gibbon to Madison to Missouri alone for trout. Incredible to think how many species of fish that water touches before entering the Gulf.

Sunrises over the Continental Divide from your vantage point must have been awesome.

Over the years we had our regulars who go on their annual trip to Idaho/Montana every summer.

If you ever get a chance it is some of the best dry fly fishing you can find anywhere.

July/August/Sept are popular months.

Some go for 10 days to two weeks on average.

Every year you can fish slightly different places.

There are people who RV all over together every year top chase the hatches.

Some only stream fish and some only lake fish and some mix it up some.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........