Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fall Half-pounder run info on Lower American River......... getting near.

Default Fall Half-pounder run info on Lower American River......... getting near.

In the past years it seems like late August is when we get our Fall Half-pounder Steelhead run into the Lower American River.

We look for these (15-20") fish to be 'showing' or feeding on the surface early and late in the day.

We look for them in the riffles from Watt Avenue to Paradise Beach/River Park area early on.

How it would start is someone would come into the shop and say that someone by the Campus Commons golf coarse / Log Hole was catching "big trout" wading with a spinning rod.

Then we would call some friends and let them know.

Sept/Oct seems like a good time.

I would go out mid-August on real early morning anywhere from above Watt Ave down to the Last Chance Riffle at the bottom of Paradise Beach.

When ever there are any number of Half-pounders in a run, in the AM and PM they will be rising or rolling or showing.

Remember to fish barbless and don't eat them.

Bill Kiene
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Cant wait!

Dont wait till August, we have been having some great days on the Ar these last few weeks chasing the summer run. Lots of half pounders and we have hooked fish in the low 20s to upper 20s as well. Unfortunately they dont come in to easily.

My favorite time of year to fish/guide for steelhead is July August and Sept before the typical "brain in the box" anglers come out and chase them in Oct Nov Dec, lots of pressure then. Think outside of the box and enjoy some really good steelhead fishing. Be the first to swing um up as they first arrive in the system.

No better time than now to try out something new.

As I like to say
    Be the report dont believe the report
    And Always Remember
    Keep Those Line Tights
    Brian W Clemens
    Nor Cal Fly Guides
    530-354-3740
    norcalflyguides@gmail.com
    www.norcalflyguides.com

"I have many loves and Fly-Fishing is one of them; it brings peace and harmony to my being, which I can then pass on to others."
    ~ Sue Kreutzer

+ 1 for listening to Brian about thinking outside the box. Fished outside the box with him more than a few times for some of the best, and most memorable, days ever on the water.

Thanks for the kind words Half pounder. I'm a steelhead fanatic and if they are in the system, I'll be chasing them. We have one sweet river right in our back yard and it gets a nice number of summer run fish ranging 16" on up to 8-10lbs, most fish are 16 to 22". The Ar has steelhead in it year round, but again my favorite is the "outside of the box" time, July August Sept. Gonna slightly miss it as I am moving 45 mins north to be closer to the Feather, Yuba, Lower Sac and Trinity, but I'll still be guiding and fishing it here and there.

See y'all out there
    And Always Remember
    Keep Those Line Tights
    Brian W Clemens
    Nor Cal Fly Guides
    530-354-3740
    www.norcalflyguides.com

"I have many loves and Fly-Fishing is one of them; it brings peace and harmony to my being, which I can then pass on to others."
    ~ Sue Kreutzer

Where are you moving to?

Sounds smart to me.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Bill

Moving to Edgewater estates, Montrose at Edgewater right off hwy70 and Erle rd, 7 mins from the Marysville ramp. Funny thing is when I was stationed at Beale we rented a house there, but back then, yr 2000, there was only about 2 dozen houses and tons of land to get stupid on in our trucks and atvs. Now there is well over 1500 homes. Man how time flies.
    And Always Remember
    Keep Those Line Tights
    Brian W Clemens
    Nor Cal Fly Guides
    530-354-3740
    www.norcalflyguides.com

~ Sue Kreutzer

Is there a take out below Watt ave?

Howe Ave would be the next take out

There is a so so take out just below Watt Bridge on the left/south side but it would not be good on a weekend for boat trailers.

How Ave has a real boat launch above the bridge on the left / south side and parking for vehicles with boat trailers
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958