Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Fall Half-pounder run info on Lower American River......... getting near.

Quote Originally Posted by hwchubb View Post
    Peter, I would love to see someone be successful on that. I’ve been faithfully skating size 8-10 muddlers from Aug- Dec (until the water temps drop below 50) for the last 5 years on the American, and have raised 2 fish. Unless there is a hatch, the American River fish just don’t seem to look up the way Trinity / NU / Rogue / Deschutes etc fish do. I’ve been more successful on all those rivers (ie more than one fish raised every 2.5 years) with far less time committed. Maybe because it is so heavily hatchery fish? Dunno. I just know I’m really starting to question why I keep at it (yet I do).

At the same time, a soft hackle in or just below the film produces decently for me, even on winter fish, in the American. Go figure. Freaking steelhead.
    Not every steelhead will take the muddler but it is my fly of choice when conditions allow for it. Most all of the fish I'm after locally are hatchery fish and I've had pretty decent luck with it in past seasons. Keep trying, your day will come! My guess is that you've been at this long enough to choose the way you fish because you enjoy it. It is the challenge that keeps us going!

Andy Guibord was talking about fishing a muddler on the lower American.

Will have to try it a try.......
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Whoever decided to jack up the flows needs the gravel in their head washed down.
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river

Went out this morning and the river is around 2,000. Actually came down since yesterday. Looks like the flow data is not accurate now. Projected release data for Nimbus is accurate

“Computed flows may vary from actual release due to work in the channel downstream of this site. Channel work is scheduled for the week of Sept. 30. Following completion of work USGS staff will conduct discharge measurements and adjust shifts as needed. For additional information please contact the USGS Sacramento Field Office at 916-381-0207.”

If we get some high water this year all that gravel will get washed out. Then they will add more gravel next year,and the year after that, etc, etc .....

One of the worst effects of damming a river is the stopping of all natural gravel flow that creates perfect spawning conditions.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Thank God the flows aren't jacked.

There's an explanation on the flows site: https://waterdata.usgs.gov/ca/nwis/uv?site_no=11446500

"Computed flows may vary from actual release due to work in the channel downstream of this site. Channel work was started on Sept. 24, 2019. Following completion of work USGS staff will conduct discharge measurements and adjust shifts as needed. For additional information please contact the USGS Sacramento Field Office at 916-381-0207."

Regarding the gravel, wouldn't it be necessary to add some at the top of the river replace what would have naturally washed down from upstream before the dams?
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river