Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Won't be long...

Default Won't be long...

Am I the only one who realizes that in 6 weeks there should be fish in the rivers up north that will take a swung fly? Time flies. I really hope I can make it to the Klamath this fall. Last fall was my first time and I'm hooked.

Veteran lower Klamath River jet boat fly fishing guide, now retired, Bruce Slightom likes September 15 for good time to start.

I have fished the lower river in a jet boat in August maybe 4 trips now.

The fishing is usually just a few hours a day, 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening.

So it is not worth going all that way for some limited fishing time.

I know there are exceptions to this but this is the norm.

I like Sept 15 to Nov 15 on the Klamath river while moving upstream a little every week or so.

We start at Klamath Glen and fish all the way up to the Seiad Valley over the two months.

This all varies depending on the type of winter we have.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Last year I went the first weekend in September and got into lots of fish, even some adults. And this was in the Orleans area. The only problem with going early is there may be an issue with moss or algae. Last year there was something in the water that caused lots of little red bumps and rashes on your legs (if wet wading). Never had that issue in previous years. So hopefully with the good cold flows this year, that won't happen. But with multiple good water years in a row, the fishing should be really good for the foreseeable future. Can't wait to get up there!

~Jeff

That algae SUCKED! And the bumps looks like pimples...brutal! And who wants to wear waders
    when it's 90 degrees out? I would "think" all the water this year would clean it out.

Jeff I'll let you wet wade first.

Top lower Klamath river jet boat guide Bruce Slightom actually told me that after 30 years he felt comfortable booking his first clients

for the Fall run around mid-September.

I like to go in October because Steelhead seem to hold in the slow tail outs more because the water cools down and the oxygen content is higher.

Aug/Sept the fish seem to hold deeper in the oxygenated riffles more and not as much in the nice slow smooth tail outs unless they

are on the move.

Lastly, many will only go once a year in the Fall to the Klamath River so I fell it is safer to go in October.

If you can got 3 to 6 times a year to the Klamath I would start in August and go through November.

Some believe in the long rivers fish start to come in after the 4th of July but it is hot then.

My friend Al Perryman live very near the middle Rogue River and starts going in July at "Dark Thirty".

We learned from Klamath river veteran Joe Shirshac to go out in the dark in the morning so you could be on a good run casting as the

it got light. He also taught us to take a break mid-day and then go out the last 3 hours right up to dark.

Early and late we fish a floating line, tapered leader the length of your rod and a dark unweighted classic winged steelhead fly.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Good reminder MThompson. Seems like I just hung up my waders and spey rod in exchange for kayak and crankbaits, but time does fly whether you're having fun or not... I got to get on the ball and plan my trip!

I'll be at the Lower K September 16-19. Might as well fish the Trinity before and after as well. Looking forward to September!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter S View Post
    I'll be at the Lower K September 16-19. Might as well fish the Trinity before and after as well. Looking forward to September!
    Peter S - are you doing a spey camp on the lower? I am debating going on such a trip. If you've been before, I don't suppose you could email me your thoughts on it.
    Thanks,
    Earl

Quote Originally Posted by Trouter925 View Post
    Peter S - are you doing a spey camp on the lower? I am debating going on such a trip. If you've been before, I don't suppose you could email me your thoughts on it.
    Thanks,
    Earl
    Earl,

I have been to that spey camp.

hey NCL. What are your thoughts on it? Worth the price? General thoughts on the overall experience?