Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lower AR

Wow, that's a helluva fish. Could you divulge anything about your method -- swinging, bobbicating? Thanks
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river

Swinging a small clouser on a Tfo 7wt switch. Airflo skagit switch line 450 grain with 10ft T11. Upper American.

I haven’t been out much this season, but I’ve usually picked up an occasional half pounder (ie 14-22”) when skating caddis / soft hackles on the surface for shad. Don’t know about late July because I’m not sure I’ve tried then, but clearly some fish are still around. I used to run into a guy that just drifted worms, but have seen him pick up steelhead every month of the year in the American, including two chrome bright, 5# and 8# fish on July 5 one year. They’re definitely there, and an evening of wet wading and skating sounds pretty good about now...

Thanks, Guys. We may hit the Lower A Sunday evening, and if so, I'll post the results. Planning to fish the Truckee prior to that. I did that once. It felt so relaxing (wading-wise) driving back from the Truckee to fish the A.
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river

Thanks - I’ve had skating on the brain since my last post. Will probably give it a shot for the last couple of hours tomorrow eve, more steelhead style (muddler or skater) than shad. See if there’s another 20” steelhead, preferably looking up.

We ended up fishing the Truckee Saturday evening and most of Sunday. Fishing was mediocre. I landed two big whitefish. They totally spaz out in the net.

By the time we returned to Sac we were exhausted and decided not to fish the American. However, I'm dying to hit it soon and will post something when I do.

Thanks again for all the useful and inspiring info.
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river

I fished the Lower A (mid-river) Saturday morning from around 6:30am to 11:00am. Nymphed: high-sticking, bobbicating and swinging. Had 8-10 hits (almost all on the swing), landed a tiny smolt (high-sticking). It was great to be on the river as usual, a little hard to acclimate to the higher flows.

In addition to Skoal, my consolation prize was about 100 black raspberries (I think I only ate one stink bug in the process). However, in my state of nirvana, I fell backwards on a dagger-like stick pointed at my right ass cheek. I now have a football-sized purple bruise on my ass. I will spare the board from a photo. Very purple, spreading daily, hits of green and yellow appearing at the edges. A Van Gogh like quality.

There were some small mayflies (not trico's, not baetis). Their bodies were just like a zebra midge pattern. They had clear wings so I think most of them were spinners.

Saw a bunch of suckers, too. Last year I caught about a 20"er stuffed with eggs which I ate at home. I highly recommend it.
    Last edited by Troutsource; 07-29-2019 at 07:47 PM.
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river

Might need a tetanus shot? Sounds nasty. I would keep an eye on it.

Tetanus shot because of the butt bruise or eating the sucker? Both sound nasty!

Oh wow. Didn't catch the part about the sucker. I meant the puncture though. A few summers ago I got a hell of a case of cellulitis from swimming in the ocean with a small wound. Knocked me on my ass for a week. There's just a bunch of nasty bugs out there these days.