Thread: Wolf Ambush Triangle Taper line works great with sink tips

Default Wolf Ambush Triangle Taper line works great with sink tips

I have been working with my sons to fly fishing for Delta Smallmouth, but they really struggle to cast sink-tips lines. I found that the Wolf Ambush Triangle Taper line works great with sink tips

I first used a Wolf Ambush on my 5wt switch rod when I began spey casting. It worked and was easy to cast; I could hit the far bank on the upper Trinity in most places. Later I switched to a Scandi short, but often noticed that I would hang on brush/branches behind me; places where the Ambush would not because it need less D-loop space.

Anyway, I was looking for as easy casting shooting head sink tip line to fish crawdad patterns. I came accross several Redd's YouTube videos touting the Ambush with poly/versi sinking leaders. I decided to give the line a try on my 6wt rod. I went down to the Los Gatos casting ponds today with the line, a 10ft 3.9 ips Versileader and a 3" strip from an old t-shirt; pretty darwn heavy when wet. (hooks are not allowed at the pond)

With the line out on the water, I started with a causal roll-cast to straighten out the line. I was amazzed how effortlessy the head went out and pulled running line from my hand. A 50' roll cast was easy. I found that with a haul at just the right time, I could shoot a roll cast to 65'. When over head casting I found it easy to lift and shoot the sink tip with the soggy t-shirt 'fly'. Heck, if the kids still find it hard to over head cast they can just roll cast the weighted crawfish patterns.

The line is pretty reasonably priced and with a couple of poly/versi leader sink types the sink rate/depth can easly be adjusted. I havn't tried it yet, but a standard leader or a floating poly/versi leader it should turn over popers very easly.

Mark

I have been promoting this line for several years myself.....

Popular for Switch rod fishing on smaller, brushy rivers like the Trinity.

Watch this video of single hand Spey casting with one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfU_7Pyu4wE
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Great post. I will consider this line for my new Axiom ll 8wt switch.
    The more people I meet, the more I love my dog.

Team Stinky Duck