Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interact, involvement, contribuite.

Default Interact, involvement, contribuite.

Why do most of you lurk. Do any of you have thought's on Capt. Buzolich's Lower Feather River report on 6-13? 505 views and not one "good job, thank you or ? This is the only fishing forum that I know of that has so many readers that don't contribute. Captain Hatch's post re: a very important striper hearing on 5-23 got the same response, zero. His story about crime/addiction/homelessness did get some traction and thats what this forum is and what I believe Bill had in mind from the start. Gregg's hard work to tune up this beast is not easy and I believe we should all try to contribute. I look at other site's around the country and the great ones have involvement from boy's, grandma's and men who have helped shape the sport. Ask questions to the guides that post here, all the ones that I know would be happy to share info. I'll never get tired of Bill's reminders and tips but please help support this great site by contributing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	974A75FC-1F9D-4191-929E-CF29799698DB.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	278.0 KB 
ID:	14739  
    The more people I meet, the more I love my dog.

Team Stinky Duck

My nick name to some is "Boca Grande"..........Big Mouth?

I am nearing 20,000 posts?

Leo Gutterres calls me "Easy Money".....

My brother Dick calls me "Fat Willie".....

Somebody called me "Wild Bill".......

In high school is was just "Kiene".......

Galen Geller was "Gellerinski"........boy I miss him.

Do you have any nick names?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

My daughter has been living in Redding for a little over a year. One of the benefits was the ability to fiish solo the day after Thanksgiving last year with Dave Neal. It was also the first rain of the season and it cleared out the smoke from all the fires. At the put in, there was another solo angler getting ready to get on the river. Exchanging pleasantries, I found out that he had come from the east coast for Thanksgiving with his three daughters in town. There were not many on the river that day. But when it started raining I had no idea what an epic day it was going to be. The clouds and rain triggered a massive baetis hatch. The trout went wild for mayfly emerger patterns. There have been only a couple memorable days that I had to quit due to catching overload. This particular day was one of them. I told Dave that there was no need to catch anymore fish. Guilt from catching too many fish can be counted on one hand. I tried to stay out on the river for the last man fishing with the other solo angler from the east coast. I wanted to let him know that days like this doesn't always happen on the Lower Sac, but I was ready for a hot coffee and dry clothes and hopefully some rewarmed turkey leftovers.

My daughter has not fished in over twenty years. When she was 10, I dragged her along to Alaska. Glow bugs were the bug of choice back then. The downside is glow bugs would sometimes be taken deep by the trout and dollies. We had her on a few silvers as well, but when a fish turned belly up after release, she was done.

Fast forward to a couple of months ago. She started bugging me about fishing the Lower Sac, so I bit the bullet and booked Dave Neal for a day. I stayed in the back of the boat and let Dave work his magic on her. After a few hook ups, she started getting the hang of things with hook sets and keeping the fish under tension in order to land them. Not a bad day to reintroduce my daughter back into the sport. I also appreciated Dave for his patient encouraging instruction. Last week I presented her with her own fly rod and reel. There was no excuse not to hook up with the free casting nights in Redding with the local clubs. Come to find out, she was waiting to get her own equipment to pursue the sport. Her boyfriend also wanted to get into the sport. I gave her a second rod that was no longer used and told her to have the BF get his own reel and fly line. The time on the water has been a little over a month. I was surprised that my daughter thanked me again for the day fishing and looked forward to doing it again. I always thought of using my daughter's place as a cheap stay over for buddies to hit the Sac. Who knew she would come around and now can't wait until next time. She also understands why I enjoy time on the water. It is escapism that can now be shared with her. She even started looking at the river when she crosses the bridges in town and points out the drift boats working their way down river. Funny how that those boats had always been there and not noticed. I just hope mom enjoys being left at the house by herself while we fish. The 5-10 minute ride to the water from her house ain't bad either. I am curious how this will play out. Kids will always surprise you.

I hope this makes up for my lurking.

Hi GreggH,I empathize with your sentiments re lurking mate.There's only one Saltwater fly fishing Forum in Australia with many members who've contributed zip, even after decades of membership,though of course they're always ready to put something up for sale.That's why I applaud a Forum rule about a minimum number of meaningful posts before being allowed to sell anything.
    Thanks and Cheers.

Gitt,

Great story, this is what its all about. Thank you.
    The more people I meet, the more I love my dog.

Team Stinky Duck

Quote Originally Posted by GreggH View Post
    Why do most of you lurk. Do any of you have thought's on Capt. Buzolich's Lower Feather River report on 6-13? 505 views and not one "good job, thank you or ? This is the only fishing forum that I know of that has so many readers that don't contribute. Captain Hatch's post re: a very important striper hearing on 5-23 got the same response, zero. His story about crime/addiction/homelessness did get some traction and thats what this forum is and what I believe Bill had in mind from the start. Gregg's hard work to tune up this beast is not easy and I believe we should all try to contribute. I look at other site's around the country and the great ones have involvement from boy's, grandma's and men who have helped shape the sport. Ask questions to the guides that post here, all the ones that I know would be happy to share info. I'll never get tired of Bill's reminders and tips but please help support this great site by contributing.
    I am the token gear guy on the board lol and I used to post comprehensive, journalistic-style posts of my fishing adventures on various online fishing forums.

At some point, I realized that the sites on which I shared were full of lurkers and takers who rarely, if ever, contributed anything. I also experienced my shared information bringing increased pressure to many of the spots I fished on the American River.

Websites became bragging boards instead of info-sharing boards.

I haven't posted a fishing report on a fishing forum since 2008 and I don't ever intend to.

I do share about 1% of my fishing on my Facebook page.

I mostly now use my Facebook page and boards like this one to spread the word about conservation issues regarding our fisheries.

It does suck that Tony B. shares really extensive, informative and colorfully-written reports and that few people have even a kind word to give.

My guess is that some are jealous and bitter, others are selfish and wishing he wouldn't be promoting 'their river' so much but that most are simply reserved for whatever reason.

I used to get 'butt-hurt' when I'd post something on the conservation board and it got so few views and as few as 1 or zero comments. Darian could always be counted upon to chime in and contribute. Mike McKenzie (bless his soul) would always be there. Ocean Sunfish is also a name that comes to mind as one of the 'involved ones'.

Anyhow, It used to really piss me off and one time I called people out on this forum and I recall reading a reply stating that just because a thread goes unanswered doesn't mean that no one cares nor that the original post didn't motivate some action. I just say what I have to say now and let others say or not say...

Anyway, I just talked myself into a circle but I want to tell you that I hear you and understand your sentiment.

I LOVE Tony's posts and more than that I LOVE his enthusiasm. He becomes that little kid embarking on a magical journey for the first time every time he goes fishing. I know this because it is how I feel every time I go fishing... In each and every one of the living fairy-tales he shares with us... his big and genuine smile as he's holding up those stripers, or bass, or catfish, or his grandson's hand... reminds me of why I started fishing in the first place and why I will likely die in the river someday wrestling a 60 lb striper...
    Last edited by STEELIES/26c3; 08-13-2019 at 05:18 PM.

Exactly my feelings also!!!!
    Although, I think I actually stopped posting reports around 2010.
    I've cut my participation at most all internet fishing forums (not just this one).
    I'm a former frequent poster who's name you would all recognize (had to change my login ID when the software changed and wouldn't work for some reason).

<<<At some point, I realized that the sites on which I shared were full of lurkers and takers who rarely, if ever, contributed anything. I also experienced my shared information bringing increased pressure to many of the spots I fished on the American River.

Websites became bragging boards instead of info-sharing boards.

I haven't posted a fishing report on a fishing forum since 2008 and I don't ever intend to.>>>
    Last edited by WLREDBAND; 08-13-2019 at 09:50 PM.

I really appreciate everyone who posts here and am glad I was able to keep this 27 year old fly fishing forum going.

If it were gone I am not sure what I would do early in the morning with my cup of Peets coffee?

I am always wanting to learn and I am always glad to have some small impact on someone's fly fishers experience.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by STEELIES/26c3 View Post
    I am the token gear guy on the board lol and I used to post comprehensive, journalistic-style posts of my fishing adventures on various online fishing forums.
    Thanks goodness you're here................. Not the "gear", but the fisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by OceanSunfish View Post
    Thanks goodness you're here................. Not the "gear", but the fisherman.
    Thanks buddy.

You too are a familiar face I'm happy to still see around