So I recently went fishing with my go-to fishing buddy, we drifted our regular favorite river.
While I was on the sticks his rod got a birds nest so I let him use my rod which was rigged up ready to go. While he was casting the rod broke in the middle of one of the sections on a back cast, almost looked like a section came apart while casting. but it was broke clean through. I don't hear so well so I can't tell if he hit the rod with split shot while casting. it was rigged up with a standard double nymph set up.

He thinks since he 'was just casting it' that it wasn't his fault and thus isn't obligated to cover the repair costs. I am choosing to be a bit mellow about this but it still doesn't sit right with me. If I was using his rod, I'd offer to cover the cost or at least 1/2 of it. this rod is an XP so instead of the normal $75, it's $150. for me, it's not about the money as much as the principle of it. the rod is already getting repaired as I write this.

so my question is do you think I am being unreasonable if I ask him to chip in and help cover the repair cost?