Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fishing buddy question

Question fishing buddy question

So I recently went fishing with my go-to fishing buddy, we drifted our regular favorite river.
    While I was on the sticks his rod got a birds nest so I let him use my rod which was rigged up ready to go. While he was casting the rod broke in the middle of one of the sections on a back cast, almost looked like a section came apart while casting. but it was broke clean through. I don't hear so well so I can't tell if he hit the rod with split shot while casting. it was rigged up with a standard double nymph set up.

He thinks since he 'was just casting it' that it wasn't his fault and thus isn't obligated to cover the repair costs. I am choosing to be a bit mellow about this but it still doesn't sit right with me. If I was using his rod, I'd offer to cover the cost or at least 1/2 of it. this rod is an XP so instead of the normal $75, it's $150. for me, it's not about the money as much as the principle of it. the rod is already getting repaired as I write this.

so my question is do you think I am being unreasonable if I ask him to chip in and help cover the repair cost?

This is just me, but if I broke the rod while it was in my hands, I'd pay the Sage rod fix-it fee, all of it. Methinks you need to find a new fishing buddy!

Question Broken Rod....

Like WLREDBAND, if I broke the rod while it was in my hands, I'd pay the repair fee. But, are you sure that the cause of the break was your buddies casting?? You said you couldn't hear a shot strike the rod.... To me, whether you should find a new "....go-to fishing buddy...." or not this is big enough issue to end a friendship. Does the friendship extend beyond fishing activities and do you want to give 'im a break??
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

I think you’ve answered your own question when you say that it doesn’t sit right with you. My gut reaction is similar others opinion: if I broke a rod my buddy loaned me I would pay to repair or replace it. I suppose it does depend a bit more on circumstances though. For instance, if I was just making a few normal casts with nothing that should stress the blank and it was more likely the blank was already compromised somehow and just happened to finally give out while my hands, that might feel a bit different. I’d hope anyone I was fishing with would be forthcoming in such a situation too. If in doubt I would offer to pay either way, personally.
    Sounds like you feel it was unclear if your friend caused the breakage, or if the blank was somehow compromised. You were also doing him a favor. I don’t think you should foot the bill yourself here, at least splitting the cost seems reasonable to me. I’d let him know it’s sitting funny with you, and I’d mention that above all else it’s important to not let a small sum of money tarnish a good friendship. I’d guess he would feel the same and perhaps you guys can work something out to put it to rest. Good luck
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

It sounds like it broke over something that had happened prior to the rod breaking mid cast. He just had the bad fortune of holding it when it finally went. It is what it is. I would pay the fee myself and get over it.

thanks for the input fellas. i appreciate getting different perspectives. it'll be water-under-the-bridge once i get my rod back from sage. i guess the fact that I'm "missing my baby" is making me hyper focus on it a bit. there honestly was no way to really tell what caused it to break. i take care of my gear but I also use it so I guess that's just part of fishin and why I always fish with Sage rods. I had a nice Winston B2X 5wt and after a repair took a couple months, I sold it once I got it back. time to get a decent back up rod. My buddy and I are good, just maybe next time I'll just anchor up and wait for him to re-rig up before offering my gear. but seriously, i hate missing good water and a chance at a good fish more than what occurred. peace out, trout! JD

I've got an even more pressing decision regarding keeping or dumping my fishing buddy who broke one of my rods on Saturday. My buddy quietly wandered behind me while carrying my loaner rod, while I was backcasting, and my backcast wrapped and busted the tip section like a hot knife through butter.

The issue is we own a house and two dogs together, commingle bank accounts, and we even sleep in the same bed. Not sure this is the hill I want to die on...

Rods usually break sometime after they have been fractured by something.

More than likely it would have broken on who ever cast it at that time.

It could have been fracture months before and then just got the right load to break it.

Without the unconditional lifetime warranty on fly rods it would probably be $300 for a new tip section.

The best thing that happened to shop owners was the onset of the lifetime warranty.

Orvis started it all with their 25 year unconditional lifetime warranty............
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Cool

update: so i decided to keep things mellow with my buddy, just got my rod back from Sage today, since it took about 2 months to complete the repair, they refunded the $150 repair fee, so that is amazing customer service by Sage! they ended up rebuilding 3 of the 4 sections and refinished the cork grip, so basically I have brand new Sage XP 697-4 ! and no, it's not for sale!

Good......
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........