Thread: Sierra Fishing

Default Sierra Fishing

We have spent two of the last three weekends up in our place at Truckee, which allowed me to get in some fly fishing . . . making up for lost time. I hit MF Feather, Truckee, NF Yuba and Lower Yuba. Here is a report in brief:

Truckee - Flows down to very fish-able levels above Prosser and Boca inflows, high but fishable below. The raft hatch however is in full swing, from Downtown Truckee, all the way down. I think the fish above Boca are recovering from PTSD after the concentration of fishermen on the Upper Stretches.

NF Yuba - Still VERY high. You find yourself fishing small pockets and the edges as most water is really moving here.

MF Feather - Flows have come into good shape and really dropped in the past 2 weeks. The river is fishing very well right now. We fished from Graeagle down to Sloat and had good fishing on all sections. Some of the larger Browns in this section were ready to play.

Lower Yuba - still running high. We caught some fish, but at these flows, the riverbed seems to have lost a lot of it's character. Out in the middle of the river, it is deep and fast. So many of the willows on the banks have been washed away, I wonder how the hopper fishing will be in late summer.

Four of us are off to Montana on Wednesday for 8 days of fishing. All of the rivers went off there about 2-3 weeks ago, so it looks like we will hit it right!! Reports are awesome. We intend to wade Rock Creek and it's Forks and Flint Creek. Our floats will be on the Clark Fork, Blackfoot and over to the Big Hole one day.

We have done his trip for 12 years now. We move around different parts of Southwestern Montana each year, from Dillon to St.Regis. For the first time, we are staying in Philipsburg, at the forks of Rock Creek. I've been through Pburg a lot, but never stayed up there . . . I'm really looking forward to it.

Bob

Can't wait for your Montana report...it's on the list possibly next year.

And now you can upload pics..bonus!

Eric

Great reporting YM............
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Look forward to report of Montana trip.

The mesmerizing thing of fishing Montana (to me) is how to stay focused on the little bit of water you're fishing at the moment. For example, you can be (in Missoula) on Flint Creek, yet Flint Creek is surrounded by Rock to the west, Clark Fork to the east, not to mention the Bitterroot, and all the other unknown creeks and stillwaters in the area. Oh, and a side trip to the Big Hole while crossing other 'fishy' waterways to get there!

Good to go with a group of friends which helps keeps the mind silo-ed.

I always felt like an ant in a candy factory when in Montana...... while fishing 'here' right now, thinking about fishing 'there', etc.

July, August and September are good average timing for Montana trout stream fishing.

Over my lifetime in the fly fishing business we had lots of customers who go to Montana every summer.

I think that my friends Don Rotsma and Rick Jorgensen have been going to Idaho/Montana for around 30 years.

I think they are over there right now............

There are California residents who go to Montana every summer to fly fish but have never had a fishing license in California.

Some years back they went to Montana with some golfing buddies and liked it but still have never fished in California.

We had a new customer, new to fly fishing and his first day fly fishing was in New Zealand for two weeks with friends who fly fish.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........