Thread: Trail Conditions?

Default Trail Conditions?

Anybody have any first hand reports that trails to Emigrant Lake, Huckleberry, or the many lakes above Leavitt Meadows are no longer snow fields? Accesses from Bell, Crabtree, Kennedy Meadows, or Leavitt Meadow.

I saw the satellite image provided by PCT and all the areas that I identify as being 8K or higher are still white with snow. I imagine crossing "creeks" everywhere up there is unsafe to cross too.

Whitney was on the original agenda for next week, but there still using ice climbing gear up there...................... not for my group.

Thanks.

I would call Kennedy Meadows Resort and Pack Station.

http://www.kennedymeadows.com/
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I went into the Emigrant area in 2017 and got in on about July 25. I got the idea that a week earlier I would not have been able to get in. Call the strawberry ranger station but my guess is two or three weeks still.

Leavitt might work as long as you can cross the West Walker.
    Last edited by John H; 07-02-2019 at 08:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OceanSunfish View Post
    Anybody have any first hand reports that trails to Emigrant Lake, Huckleberry, or the many lakes above Leavitt Meadows are no longer snow fields? Accesses from Bell, Crabtree, Kennedy Meadows, or Leavitt Meadow.

I saw the satellite image provided by PCT and all the areas that I identify as being 8K or higher are still white with snow. I imagine crossing "creeks" everywhere up there is unsafe to cross too.

Whitney was on the original agenda for next week, but there still using ice climbing gear up there...................... not for my group.

Thanks.
    There's a fresh report on High Sierra Topix from a guy who did an overnighter to Emigrant Lake last week. He said there's still lots of snow that starts at Sheep Camp (8500'). Emigrant Lk had some open water and was fishing good.

Here's the link: http://www.highsierratopix.com/commu...hp?f=1&t=19621

I'm sure Leavitt Mdw is clear. Not sure how far in can get. Probably to Fremont Lk.

According to the latest satellite imagery, the west side trailheads (Crabtree, Bell, etc) look to be snow free.

Appreciate the quick insight. Trip is scheduled for Saturday departure and at this time, we have no place to go. I saw a recent picture from Aloha Lakes that was frozen and people in snowshoes, etc. No bare earth to speak of............

Any thoughts on the trail to Huckleberry from Cherry Lake. I know the trail crosses Cherry Creek 4 or 5 times below Huckleberry. I surmise the crossing would be problematic. Not sure.

We're about to cancel trip altogether. It's not a fishing trip as it is more of a backpacking trip with high school aged kids and young adults.

I like Leavitt Meadows trail but not far enough of a hike for this group if just able to go to Fremont Lake. Maybe same for Bell Meadow and Crabtree?

Thanks to this wonderfully diverse community!

Appreciate the quick insight. Trip is scheduled for Saturday departure and at this time, we have no place to go. I saw a recent picture from Aloha Lakes that was frozen and people in snowshoes, etc. No bare earth to speak of............

Any thoughts on the trail to Huckleberry from Cherry Lake. I know the trail crosses Cherry Creek 4 or 5 times below Huckleberry. I surmise the crossing would be problematic. Not sure.

We're about to cancel trip altogether. It's not a fishing trip as it is more of a backpacking trip with high school aged kids and young adults.

I like Leavitt Meadows trail but not far enough of a hike for this group if just able to go to Fremont Lake. Maybe same for Bell Meadow and Crabtree?

Thanks to this wonderfully diverse community!
    How far of a trip are you looking for (days/miles)? Aloha is a pretty short trip.

Huckleberry is quite a hump! But the latest satellite image shows it's ice-free, and doesn't look like hardly any snow on the way in.
    Last edited by Jeff F; 07-03-2019 at 02:26 PM.

Trip was supposed to be 7 days. Degree of difficulty is moderate to some advanced. Mostly teen-aged boys that are novice backpackers. Do not want to have them face unkind or adverse conditions then dislike backpacking forever. 30 miles of snow or raging creek crossing are not ideal for this group.

The first 4 options chosen are under snow right now. Meadows are free but look to be day trips. Some scenery would be nice. It's not a trip just to go take "hike". There was supposed to be some "wow" factor.

About to call the trip. Just not in the cards.

Trip was supposed to be 7 days. Degree of difficulty is moderate to some advanced. Mostly teen-aged boys that are novice backpackers. Do not want to have them face unkind or adverse conditions then dislike backpacking forever. 30 miles of snow or raging creek crossing are not ideal for this group.

The first 4 options chosen are under snow right now. Meadows are free but look to be day trips. Some scenery would be nice. It's not a trip just to go take "hike". There was supposed to be some "wow" factor.

About to call the trip. Just not in the cards.
    Yeah, for WOW factor, I'd head over to the east side. Do a trip out of the Mammoth or Bridgeport areas. But you'd have to wait another 3 weeks or so.

Good luck.

How about taking the PCT Castle Crags to Lassen or the reverse. Cool views, water, lava fields.

Thanks everyone. 2-3 weeks and the trails will be outstanding.