Thread: Squaw Creek

Default Squaw Creek

Anyone ever fished Squaw Creek outside of McCloud, off Squaw Valley Road? Also know as Cabin Creek. Looks inviting but don't know what flows would be like this time of year to make the effort.

Wife and I are heading to Ah Di Na since road to Ash Camp (normally camp there) is closed.

Probably heading to Pit after a few relaxing days on the McCloud
    Can't wait.

Any info is appreciated.

https://hikemtshasta.com/mccloud-riv...y-creek-trail/

I have fished Squaw Valley Creek but it has been a few years. I fished along a dirt road that follows the creek down to the McCloud. It is gated so you can’t drive it but it is public so you can walk it or bike it. It is a small creek but has decent fish. It gets bigger as you get close to the McCloud. The three most abundant things in there are poison oak, rattlesnakes and bears. Quite a place. Mini McCloud but nobody goes down there so it is pretty wild.

I took part of a day a few weeks back and fished from the unimproved camp, near where the PCT crosses, down river for a ways...maybe a mile.
    It was high and running brown. At least a little more brown than I had seen it before.
    It was not easy to get anything deep but I gave it an effort anyway as it was the only time I had to fish that weekend.
    No fish, no strikes. Not even at the edges.
    But, beautiful as always and the trail is clear and in good shape but as John wrote, plenty of poison oak. (No snakes or bears..this time!)

My guess is it is probably perfect now. Probably just about where it would be on a "usual" mid June.

This is my third trip there and I like the place. Plenty of fish when it is not so high!

First rule of Squaw Creek is you don't talk about Squaw Creek!
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy new fly fishing gear and that usually does the trick.

Thanks for your reply John.
    Wild is good to me, but my wifes already worried about the bears at Ah Di Na, guess I'll have to put blinders on her.

Thanks for your reply BobVP.
    Yeah think we're going to check it out. I've been fishing McCloud and Pit for geez 20 years, maybe more. I remember the first time I went to McCloud, NO ONE was there (at Ash Camp). It was AWESOME, still is just not the same.
    Wanting to try some new spots.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    First rule of Squaw Creek is you don't talk about Squaw Creek!
    Bob, ummmmmm, Mods please delete this thread

Keep the Mini McCloud on the down low! You have to hike a ways to get to the water worth fishing. Some spots are 5-8 feet across, but 10 feet deep. Very nice size fish for size of the water. Rattlesnakes are abundant. I have encountered bears every time I go there. Bring a firearm.