Thread: THIRTY FEET of LC-13 ?

Question THIRTY FEET of LC-13 ?

I just read another of Jeff's posts about using 30' LC-13. Are you fishing shad with a 9 wt? No doubt it's working for you but I used to use a 6 wt. for shad, and I can't imagine using that much LC on a light rod.

Now, if you are straight lining out of the back of a boat or a pram, then casting is not an issue and you simply want to get the line down deep quickly.

I'm really trying to get my 8 year old grandson out to catch his first shad. He's already taken several stripers and smallmouth on a fly (with granpa's help) but shad would really be fun for a newcomer.

Any suggestions ?
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

I’m in agreement with you on the line weight issue. No questions on effectiveness, but it doesn’t sound like something I’d enjoy casting a lot. To each their own of course. I have done well enough using intermediate Scandi lines with fast sinking leaders with 4 and 5 wt switch rods, and for single hand rods I’ve used a 6wt with an S6 outbound short line (other sinking lines should work fine too, since the flies are fairly small). Shad fishing would make for a great time for kids I think! For one thing, I’d think they would be excited just getting to see so many fish, plus once you find a pod of fish the frequency of action should keep them well entertained. I’m thinking you’d likely make some great memories for all, good luck.
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

JeffC is using an 11 foot Switch rod that are about 2 sizes heavier than a similar size single handed fly rod.

So a #5 weight Switch rod equates to around a #7 weight single hand fly rod in line size or line weight.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I’m using a 6110 Helios 2. I cast it single handed over head and two handed Spey from my boat.

Good Jeff......

An 11' #6 line Switch rod is kind of like an 11' #8 line single hand fly rod.

I can see how it would throw 30' of LC13 level coated lead core line.

For Stripers from a boat many use a 9' #8 line single hand fly rod with 28' of LC13.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Buzolich View Post
    I just read another of Jeff's posts about using 30' LC-13. Are you fishing shad with a 9 wt? No doubt it's working for you but I used to use a 6 wt. for shad, and I can't imagine using that much LC on a light rod.

Now, if you are straight lining out of the back of a boat or a pram, then casting is not an issue and you simply want to get the line down deep quickly.

I'm really trying to get my 8 year old grandson out to catch his first shad. He's already taken several stripers and smallmouth on a fly (with granpa's help) but shad would really be fun for a newcomer.

Any suggestions ?
    Tony
    7' spinning outfit (1000 size reel) and 10# Diawa brightly colored X-braid with a short top shot of mono. Sliding sinker or simple #3 or #2 shot above a shad fly of your choice. Kids cast across, dead drift, swing, hang and hook up like crazy anywhere inbetween. They get to figure out how to make the presentation, drift, etc. Kids figure things out and it's fun to watch. Later, they can do the same thing with the fly rod and make the adjustment in drift length as opposed to an outfit with a single point of 'weight' on the line.

Why braid? The kids I take shad fishing tried braided line once, then fought for the rigs with braided line since. I had to convert every rig to braid. Kids figure out the advantages quick! Bottom line, they can feel contact with rocks and get a lot of feedback which speeds up the learning curve. They figure out where the fish hold, then present accordingly. THEY figure it all out.......... All I do is hold the net..............

Daiwa Spinmatic spinning rods make great Shad rods. I like it too because it breaks up the monotony.
    Last edited by OceanSunfish; 06-27-2019 at 10:52 PM.

Great idea Sunfish.

That would be a lot easier for him in a boat too. I got several small spinning rods that would be perfect for that.

Thanks, Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Buzolich View Post
    Great idea Sunfish.

That would be a lot easier for him in a boat too. I got several small spinning rods that would be perfect for that.

Thanks, Tony
    Thank you Tony. Glad I can share a little info your direction for a change.