Thread: King Salmon on the fly?

Default King Salmon on the fly?

I’ve been trying to find info on fishing for Kings. I’ve only found swinging for Kings info. I more interested in the ones coming into the delta right out of bay. I’ve watched a video of some guys “back bouncing” flies with sink tips and single hand rods. Anyone know of any info, flies, setup, or books? I already know some striper guys get them. Are there any old timers that focused strictly on kings?
    Last edited by Rossflyguy; 06-25-2019 at 07:52 PM.

Here are some places for catching fresh King salmon on a fly:

The Lower Feather River get a big run.

The Lower Rogue River in September.

The Lower Eel and Lower Smith Rivers in CA in November depending on the flows.

The Chetco River in November.

There are a lot of other river on the Oregon coast.

Hoodoo Lodge in Alaska https://www.hoodoofishing.net/ (June 15 to July 26)

I think it is mostly an accident when they catch Kings while fly fishing Stripers in the Delta.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    Here are some places for catching fresh King salmon on a fly:

The Lower Feather River get a big run.

The Lower Rogue River in September.

The Lower Eel and Lower Smith Rivers in CA in November depending on the flows.

The Cheto River in November.

There are a lot of other river on the Oregon coast.

Hoodoo Lodge in Alaska https://www.hoodoofishing.net/ (June 15 to July 26)

I think it is mostly an accident when they catch Kings while fly fishing Stripers in the Delta.

Thanks for the locations Bill but I gear fish those rivers already for salmon. I’m just trying to get educated on chasing them with a single hand rod. Maybe just treat them like big trout with streamers racking the bottom.

The closest place with lots of King salmon might be the lower Feather River from the Thermalito outflow down to the mouth of the Yuba River?

Aug/Sep/Oct might be a good average timing.

Sept/Oct/Nov for Steelhead

Today for fresh Kings close to the ocean I would look at the lower Chetco River in southern Oregon in November.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Call The Fly Shop in Redding and book a date with Lonnie Boles. I believe he is guiding Salmon on The Trinity this summer. He knows that river like the back of his hand and is great company for the day!

I’m more interested in targeting salmon in the west delta and bay. I know of many deep holding areas. I know people jigging for salmon clean house. I’m thinking about imitating a jigging action or stripping flies along the bottom. I’ve looked up some reading material about targeting ocean salmon on the fly. They’re old books but I’m thinking they’ve got good info from old timers.
    Last edited by Rossflyguy; 06-28-2019 at 09:55 PM.

Default Salmon in the Delta??

I've not seen many targeting Salmon with a fly in the Delta but that's no indication that it can't be done. I've seen more Salmon taken from the shoreline around Benicia than in the Delta proper. In the late summer and fall many Salmon are caught from the shoreline on casting and spin gear. Dillons Point offers deep water close to shore. In all of the years I've fished down there, I've only seen one fly guy casting for Salmon.... Seems like a boat might just make it doable, tho.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

I’m with Darian. Back in the mid eighties while stationed at Mare Island in Vallejo I caught several at Dillion Park. Stripping streamers worked for Stripers and once in a while a salmon would grab on. Actually caught several off the big ammo pier at the south end of Mare Island too. I always thought they were staging in that area while adjusting to fresh water?? Never anything huge either, maybe 8-10 lbs. Used to catch Steelhead from the park up past Benicia using bobbers and night crawlers.
    Back in those days I never went to Dillion alone, always several of us. It was a bad place!! Wading was kind of hard. Using a boat there was a challenge due to the heavy current.