Thread: Baja blast

Default Baja blast

This is Muertos Bay, our launch site each morning. I went to baja with a group of fly guys and family members in search of roosters.

We were greeted each morning by beautiful sunrises as we motored off in anticipation, but first bait

The sardinas were back and what a difference it made. The guide tosses out a handful and you ,"wait for the boil"

we were after roosters and Luke struck first on his first cast, fathers day was on.

Next it was my turn to get in on the action. Both were caught on bait, but we wanted them on fly.

I got to warm up on jack Crevalle, they are eager to smash a fly and are a good fight, the first few are fun, but after 20 or so you are over toro, the bull.

Here is my wife getting in on the rooster action. My sisters and nieces all got in on the action, but there were other fish in the sea.

This was the best year for stripped marlin. There were caught on bait and lures, but still made for some great action on light gear.

but I was there for roosters on the fly and started out in the nursery on the little guys.

then it was back to the light house and I finally got to land this beauty.

It was Jay Murakoshi's last trip to baja so we threw him a party at Tailhunter, but Johnathan wouldn't let us bust the pinata, juanita at the restaurant so

we took her to the bay and had our way with her. The guides took the candy home to their kids.

It was a great trip, on the last day I got this nice mahi. Baja is awesome and roosters rock, Mems.
    Don Memmer

Looks like a great trip to La Paz again......thanks Don.

I was lucky to be able to do one with Jay Murakoshi some years back.

La Paz is a nice town too with many good restaurants.

Rooster fish are one of the coolest things that swim.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Good report Don. I have some photo's from Stuart and Guy but can't figure out how to post them. So they will remain unseen. They are still on the "hot bite". I'm ready to go back and get back into those roosters and the yellow fin on the fly.
    As Don mentioned, it is my last season for the Baja trips but my shuttle driver of 25 years is now taking over the business. I will still help him out for a couple years. I will be making the hotel arrangements, captains and selling the trips here in the states. I've almost finished the 2020 Baja flyer to start sending out, via emails. If I can figure out how to post it to FB you will be able to see it.
    I already have 6 people signed up with deposits.
    This definitely has been a good year for all species, especially marlin. There have been a number of marlin caught on fly along with a couple wahoo and yellow fin.
    Thanks again Don for bringing the group to Baja.

Jay

Don,

No doubt about it, your'e having a fun time. Especially having family around with you.

But, where's the picture of the 700 lb. Mako you got in San Diego? We're all waiting to see the beast.

Aloha, Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180