Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carl Blackledge's daily reports for his Loreto, Baja, Mexico trip - 2019

7/7/2019 Sunday in Loreto, Baja, Mexico

Greetings: The fishing here in Loreto has been very slow this past week largely due to high winds and rough seas. Only a few Marlin and a few small Dorado have been caught (reports from our group) and I did get one nice Marlin yesterday. Today we decided to go to my favorite honey spot for Roosterfish and found more smaller Roosters than I have seen in a long time, and we really beat 'em up on cast flies and got maybe 15 all together. That was also a nice break from going way out to sea and getting beat up in the boat. We also got a radio call about Dorado and so we left the Rooster hole and ended up catching two Dorado, one small and the other decent size. Tomorrow we're going to go to a different Rooster hole and use a different rod and line set-up hoping to catch some larger Roosters on cast flies.
    Best.
    Carl Blackledge
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

7/8/2019 Monday in Loreto, Baja, Mexico

Greetings:

Today we had nice weather and mild seas and our boat found a new honey spot with tons of smaller Roosters. We caught at least 40 on cast flies; small Airheads and Belly Dancers worked like a charm. Also, there were reports from other boats that about 40 smaller Dorado were caught all told. We're still holding out hope of finding some larger fish of both species.

Best,
    Carl Blackledge
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Looks like a good year for Baja........still the best value in salt water fly fishing.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

7/9/2019 Tuesday in Loreto, Baja, Mexico

Greetings:

The weather was great today and we did get a lot of Roosters again on cast flies but we were hoping to find some bigger Dorado. We found two decent-sized, however we were trolling. My boat partner caught a little Marlin (about 60-70 pounds) and that was his first billfish. Yesterday he caught his first Dorado and Roosterfish on cast flies. We're hoping the water temps. will heat up more before we leave, which is better for Dorado but we're still having a lot of fun and every day is different.

Best,
    Carl Blackledge
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

7/10/2019 Wednesday at Loreto, Baja, Mexico

Greetings:

Today we headed north and found Dorado after reports from another boat. My friend in that boat caught 24 Dorado on cast flies and his wife caught 4, however we weren't so lucky. We did check out a lot of new water and will go hunting again tomorrow.

Best,
    Carl Blackledge
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

7/11/2019 Thursday at Loreto, Baja, Mexico

Greetings:

Today it was like Disneyland in Loreto. We headed out early to the Rooster farm and caught a bunch of small ones, but after about a half hour we got a radio call, "Tuna! Tuna! Tuna!" So we high-tailed it east for about an hour and as soon as we slowed down we started to troll our Chicken flies and happened upon a bunch of jumping Sailfish. We tried to chum them up a bit so we could cast but they ate all the Sardines and went down. Then we went back to trolling and in a few minutes my boat partner hooked a Sailfish, fought it, but lost it near the boat. A few minutes later he hooked a giant Dorado and lost that one as well. Shortly after that he hooked a really cool Marlin, which also escaped. At that point I changed the color of my Chicken fly from blue to pink. In a few minutes I got a Marlin while trolling and landed it, then hooked and lost two more in the space of about half an hour. Then we had about a half hour lull when suddenly a lone Marlin swam up to the boat and really put on an aerial display. What a show! It's amazing how high those young Marlin (probably 80 pounds or so) can jump! We also saw lots of loner Marlin sunning themselves but they just didn't want to eat, so we decided to pack it in.

As soon as we started to reel in the trolling rods I felt a big tug and screamed "Fish On," which was immediately echoed by my boat buddy who was fighting his own fish! Mine was a real beauty about as big as the jumper we saw earlier. My buddy's fish came off while I was fighting mine, but in the process of this crazy battle of man vs. fish he broke his rod, the fish came into the boat and started eating the Sardines, and subsequently escaped, and my buddy went into about a 100 MPH overdrive trying to reel in the line on the broken rod and rescue his casting rod! At the end of the day I hooked 4 Marlin and landed 2, and landed a dozen little Roosters. My friend did about the same with the Roosters and will have some terrific memories of epic battles, even if they were the "ones that got away!"

Best,
    Carl Blackledge
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958