Thread: DORADO are in Loreto

Default DORADO are in Loreto

Hey guys,

Good new for all the guys heading to Loreto. Just got off the phone with my Guide and they got'em today in Loreto.

Does that mean they will be jumping in the boat when I get there Thursday? I sure hope so, anyway I will be posting some daily reports after June 20th.

over and out

Carl Blackledge

Just got home last night from Baja. A good 4 weeks of fishing but as I speak, it was getting better. The water conditions have turned and the fish are starting to eat. Right now Don Memmer and his family are there and have been doing well. Marlin, dorado, jacks and lots of big roosters. I would have to say the this year compares to 2013 for big roosters. We have seen a lot of them between 60 and 70lbs.
    I got one on Sunday 45 pounds and lost a few others. The one I caught had a friend following it all the way to the boat. The captain said it was at least 50 maybe 60lbs. He thought it was his girlfriend he was trying to save, so funny. The week before that I got a rooster that was probably around 70lbs. it bottomed out a 60lb boga. I guess I should of taken my digital scale that goes to 100lbs. I have a bunch of photo's and video. I would have to guess each week there were at least 30 to 40 roosters caught that were between 20 to 50lbs and many more broke off. I got my big roosters using a TFO Axiom II 9wt. It took 2 hours to bring it in and 45 minutes to revive it. It swam away healthy. There are also a lot of marlin in the area. Some even grabbing flies without trolling. Now the yellow fin story. There are some brutes out there. I was fishing with Jose one day and using my new yellow fin technique. I hooked into one on the drop. Jose saw the tuna eat and said it was grande, probably 100lbs. It went out at least 250 yards but it threw the fly. I was using a 8" mackerel pattern and a Esox 400/500gr rod which is around a 12 wt.. A Tibor gulf stream with 550 yards of braid. The brains is marked every hundred yards. Two plus mark + the fly line, 80' of clear amnesia. I did get one around 45lbs on fly.
    Heard a story of 3 guys who fought a marlin for 5 hours before it broke off at the boat. Two had been fighting it off and on and then when they had it to the boat, they handed the rod to a younger guy who inturn went to tighten the dray a little bit and pushed the lever forward way too much, the marlin bolted and the line broke. I guess he should've of left the drag setting like it was. A rookie mistake, live and learn. The captain said around 200lbs.
    I have a bunch of photo's but don't know the process to post. But Don will be posting some of his photo's from this week.
    This was officially my last year doing the trips. I will be helping out the person who took over the business. All I will be doing is selling the trips here in the states, making. hotel arrangements and booking the captains. I will now only be going for one week to take the money to the new owner and FISHING one week, then fly back home. After 27 years in Baja it's time to think about my other destinations like Belize, CI and Aitutaki..
    Jay