Thread: Scadden or Outcast Pac

Default Scadden or Outcast Pac

Hello All-

Purchasing a pontoon and looking for opinions based on knowledge/experience.

Looking at a Scadden Skykomish Sunrise and an Outcast Pac 900/1000. As far as I can tell the main difference in function is a lean bar/platform to fish with on the Scadden. It seems they don't use the same criteria for weight capacity, so it is difficult to tell which one carries more - I plan to do overniters. May have to monkey-rig my own platforms.

Have read that Scadden is not the most customer oriented company(putting it nicely) as people have had difficulty with customer service/responses, Outcast seems to be the Gold Star standard for customer service for these type of products? Scadden and Outcast used to have a relationship? I believe their design/craftsmanship/material quality are similar?

Have decided against a two-man framed raft (FlyCraft or Scadden's Dragon Flys) as I have heard their tracking is an issue (always on the oars) due to short beam length. A raft might be ideal as I would really like to take my wife occasionally, but don't want that second seat in the way when it's just me and my dog for the nite. Thoughts?

TIA, JGB

I've heard of a lot of rumors about Scadden's poor customer service. I've never had to deal with their customer service, but I have two Scadden pontoons (over 20 years experience) and have never had any problems with either of them (therefore I've never had any need to contact customer service). Based on my positive experiences with Scadden products I have no hesitancy buying them in the future.

Outcast boats are awesome I use them in my personal use and I also use them in my business. I want to use anything else.
    Lance Gray
    Fly Guide
    530-517-2204
    http://www.lancegrayandcompany.com

JGB

I owned a Skykomish Sunrise for several years. I never had any issues and thought the boat was really solid. I also liked the sliding casting platform and lean bar a lot. But, I have no personal experience with Scadden's customer service. Although I've never owned an Outcast boat, I've only heard good things about them (i.e., construction, design, customer service, etc.).

The reason I sold my Scadden boat was because I purchased a 10' Aire raft with custom Catcher Craft fishing frame set up for 2 people. While it's considerably more heavy than the pontoon and requires a second person to load it assembled into my truck, I love being able to take a second person with me, the stability of the boat on moving water, and more storage.

Ron

Welcome to the club- the "i want a one person inflatable that I can use to bring the wife/GF along once in a while". The Outcast 1000 and Skynomish Sunrise are comparable-- Skynomish have been around for years, so frequently hit Craigslist or Bill's board for around $500-$600 used.

If you will stay in Class II or less, you could make a dolly out of 1-1/2" PVC that you could strap on top of the tubes and make a front seat-- but then you'd have to put in some type of foot rest. I have one I made for my Watermaster, but in 3 years it has been used as a seat 3 times going point to point on the lower Yuba.

Outcast is the best run organization in the inflatable industry, not real innovative, but very solid products with better customer service. I had one issue that their CS Manager, Kellen Kinghorn, resolved immediately so I would not miss my fishing trip. Scadden's Customer Service may have a bad rep because of Dave Scadden, who promises everything and then he forgets often. Scadden's products are the most innovative. I have owned 2 and have never had a problem that needed customer service.

On Craigslist is a possible solution...a Scadden Assault XX R for $995 (not my ad). I rowed one on Class III water with and without a 2nd person on a multi-day trip. It is a 10ft partial bottomless raft with rockered ends. If you wanted to kick it up to a whitewater boat, Dave told me that some of Scadden's frameless rafts can use the same frame as some of his framed models- maybe the Assault XX and the Dragonfly (?) or you could fit a frame from NRS components and glue on some additional D rings.

here's link to the adv: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/boa...899467325.html

Jim
    Last edited by JayDubP; 06-13-2019 at 09:48 AM.

Thx all for your input. Going to be a tough decision.

Have been watching the secondary market, will continue to do so. Almost got a rarely used PAC 900 for $650, I think the seller got smart and changed his mind.

Cheers, JB

bertha Guest

Outcast boats are awesome
    Last edited by bertha; 06-25-2019 at 12:20 PM.