Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Frenchman's or Lake Davis reports?

"Lake Davis is an artificial lake in Plumas County, California near the Sierra Nevada community of Portola. It's waters are impounded by Grizzly Valley Dam, which was completed in 1966. The lake is named for Lester T. Davis (1906-1952)."

I have been in the fishing tackle business in Sacramento for over 50 years so I remember Davis Lake in the 1970s.

The first 10 to 20 years of any new reservoir are always fantastic fishing with all the biomass breaking down.

Back then we heard stories that people from Reno, Nevada would drive to Davis lake with a Boy Scout troupe.

Every kid would get a limit of 10 fish to take home.

It was so wild that people gave away their catches so they could keep fishing.

I was not really know as a fly fishing lake back then.......it was know as a fish factory.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I fished both last Saturday thru Wednesday and water temps were getting high. Davis was 68 and not many damselflies and fish were spread out. Wind can ruin your whole day and it seems more frequent now. I picked up nice trout and large mouth. Damsels are week/s off and temps could be too high for C&R.

I think I’m done with Davis for a while and will spend more time learning Frenchman’s.

Mornings and evenings were more productive and some killer action during night hatches. Only fished lurker cove and the 3 coves to the north. Large populations of minnows cruising the shores with some larger fish gulping along the banks. Water temps are a little better than Davis. If I had to choose I would go to Frenchman’s. We had a double digit day and some were 16” or more as I lost a 3-4 lbs rainbow. I think the fish size will continue to grow with that abundant food source.

Gene also post report on Granite Bay Facebook page.
    Good luck and tight lines.

Jet
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" - unknown author

Thanks for the detailed report.....
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I see the Davis Lake is about 3K from full pool! That's great. "Damsels are weeks off" Any particular reason? Long winter with only a recent spike in water temps?

I was basing that of intel from the Grizzly store on Davis lake. Not sure what others are seeing but the last few years have been good for water quantity but temps seem to get higher earlier and bugs seem to be later than normal.
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" - unknown author

Thanks for sharing the info.

The lake is in need of good fortune and luck. Sad.