Thread: 90 pound Salmon on the fly

I know people that have been there several times. They catch lots of big fish and they are all about big fish. The problem I have with this fishery is that these kings are actively spawning, and in some of the photos I have seen they have already spawned and are dying. I have an issue with the ethics of this. These fish were introduced years ago but this is a naturally reproducing population. This fishery is not for me.

Fisheye,

All I know is it's a big ugly fish. However I do agree with you that if it was caught on the Redds that's just not "fair chase" in my opinion, by the color of it, you could be right. It's still interesting to see a king that big and hopefully it had already spawned.

Carl Blackledge

I’ve been researching King runs in Chile and Argentina and this is one spot that has a bunch of YouTube video. This is off a lake that feeds the Rio Santa Cruz. These are spawners almost all the video are old boots—it is a long way from the ocean.there are a large number of rivers that Kings have established themselves from Southern Chile to lower Argentina. Even the Rio Grande , which is the premier sea trout river , in Argentina, and probably the world has a run established.Spawners should be left alone no mater where they are some of the other rivers have large fish iv’e seen pictures of fresh ones in the 70 pound class from other spots. Carl —if you want more specific info talk to me this fall when we cross paths. Tom Ugrin

Wow....how do they weigh these fish btw?

Quote Originally Posted by dynaflow View Post
    Wow....how do they weigh these fish btw?
    There are a couple of formulas using length and girth.my experience has been they are generally over by a significant amount. I used Cabelas , they have the calculator built into their site. Using it I came up,with 83 pounds .it’s old and skinny so prob. not that large but still pretty stout.

No doubt it's a great fish,but the weight is a guesstimate at best.This happens with saltwater species as well,especially GT's....
    and I've seen plenty of 10lb.Bonefish that weren't.