Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: McCloud Access

Default McCloud Access

Hi all,

I'm making a trip up to the Shasta area 6/13-18 and was hoping to spend a few days on the Lower McCloud for my first time. The only thing holding me back is concern over accessing the river in my Subaru Forester. I was hoping to receive some guidance on current road conditions in to the river to know if it was doable at this point.

I have gathered that the road is cut off before Ash camp as well, but would prefer to get down towards the Conservancy instead. Any info is welcome, feel free to DM. Thanks in advance!

If it's a no-go for the McCloud, I plan to hit the Pit, Upper Sac, and most likely Hat Creek. Regardless, plenty of fun will be had!

- Gus

You will be fine. The road to Ah Di Na is rough but nothing a Subaru can’t handle. Just take it slow. There’s a big washout between the camp and the conservancy but it’s manageable.

The road to Ash camp is currently closed just beyond the dam overcrossing so to access that area requires a hike for the moment.

All the rivers up there are fishing well. Have fun.

Just to add to what PV wrote: I have taken my Forester down to the lower river several times without a problem.
    I will aslo reinforce his comment with: SLOW! Once you hit the dirt drive like you are behind a motorhome on Hwy 128 headed toward the coast on a busy weekend with 20 cars behind.....SLOWLY.....only leave out the frustration.

I will also be in McCloud from the 13th to the 17th.

I would spend some time on the Upper Sac because it should be perfect mid-June.

Go nymphing from the early morning till about noon...take a break....go to the Ted Fay Fly Shop.

Go out again about 4:00 pm till dark for the evening dry fly fishing.

Be sure to eat at the Cornerstone Cafe across from the fly shop.

https://www.cornerstonedunsmuir.com/

Bob Grace at the Ted Fay Fly Shop can give you advice on some good access points and sell you some spot on flies too.

http://www.tedfay.com/

If you want a real experience get a day with veteran guide Fred Gordon.

http://fredgordon.net/

If you are looking for a place to stay check with the Cave Springs.

https://www.cavesprings.com/

**We have a special connection with Dunsmuir because we had a cabin there for 10 years when we were younger.

** This is a fun town to bring the entire family....

**All of June is normally the top month but mid-June will be better this year.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I appreciate the info, everyone! Getting more and more excited for this trip by the moment.

BobVP, maybe we'll bump in to each other on the water during the week? I'm hoping to be on the McCloud until Sunday, then most likely will spend time on the Upper Sac until Tuesday.

Personally and this is all personal preference i would fish the Mccloud on weekdays and the Upper on weekends. The Mccloud gets more pressure and you’ll likely see fewer others if you reverse your plan.

Unless you are in McCloud at the Burning Tango Festival, it is unlikely.
    This trip is tango first, fish second. Sometimes that is reversed. I may get a few mornings on the Sacramento this time around.

Again, I will second what PV wrote. I have been lucky enough to have only fished the McCloud on weekdays and in the last four trips I have seen ZERO other folks at Ah Di Na! I am not a recluse by nature but I will admit it is nice to be able to fish anywhere and move over the entire river.

10/4, hope the festival goes well!

Again, thanks for the advice Bob and PV. Seems like a logical move to hit the McCloud on weekdays. Thankfully, I have a flexible schedule for this trip, so that'll be the plan!

Anyone know if the road is still closed beyond the dam?

Thanks

-Shaun

Yes it is closed. After looking at how they blocked it off I find it unlikely to open anytime soon. They have concrete barriers covered by boulders to keep vehicles out.