Thread: Cape Cod

Default Cape Cod

I fish the south coast of Cape Cod in Barnstable.
    One thing about the Cape.....you gotta like wind because being surrounded on three sided by ocean, it's always windy. This time of year the schoolie stripers arrive starting in late April (few winter holdovers only the real hardcore pursue them during the winter). Most fish 15 - 22 inches but many larger fish scattered throughout.
    Fished the inlet to East Bay starting around noon (5/23) about 1.5 hrs into the flooding tide. Took two schoolie stripers (18 and 22 inches) on a white and chartruese clouser (go-to fly here on the Cape) in about 45 mins of fishing. Wind was howling from the west but with enough over the left shoulder to allow casts requiring mends to tighten the line.
    Ciao,
    CapeCod139

Pretty cool.......we have a lot of Striper fly fishers in Nor Cal and I know many would love to fish the East Coast Salt Water.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Man, does this sure make me miss late spring on MV... I know friends on the island and Cape have been enjoying the early migration that's under way. I've seen some larger fish being posted, definitely some in the "keeper" class. Small sand eel flies are typically our favorite this time of year, but throwing some extra meat can certainly excite them as well. Looking forward to getting back to the cape in June/July for sight fishing on the flats. Hunting down and watching large (or small!) stripers engulf/refuse a crab fly in less than 3 ft of water brings a special rush through you!