Thread: SA Floating braided polyethylene running line

Default SA Floating braided polyethylene running line

Hey guys and gals !!!!
    In my quest to find "a better mousetrap" I recently ordered a spool of the below SA Floating braided polyethylene running line.

Click for description:https://www.scientificanglers.com/pr...ethylene-mono/

I've never seen or used this S.A. version however I'm quite familiar with Airflo Miracle braid and it's ability to easily do blind splice loops. Miracle braid seems to have gone the same way of the dodo bird, unfortunately.
    Has anyone out there "Successfuly blind spliced loops in the Scientific Anglers braid ???????
    Google has not been my friend with regards to any reviews claiming that S.A. blind splices are even doable. Any first hand information you may have would be immensely appreciated.

Bob

I have done blind splice loops in my Dacron backing, Cortland braided mono and the Airflo miracle braid that you mentioned without any problems. I have never been able to put one that I was happy with in the SA poly running line. Fortunately, a double overhand loop pulls down very small and tight; small enough that it really isn’t bothersome when pulled through the guides of your rod.

Final word is you’re not doing anything wrong. The SA braid just doesn’t expand enough for a blind splice.

Quote Originally Posted by richr View Post
    I have done blind splice loops in my Dacron backing, Cortland braided mono and the Airflo miracle braid that you mentioned without any problems. I have never been able to put one that I was happy with in the SA poly running line. Fortunately, a double overhand loop pulls down very small and tight; small enough that it really isn’t bothersome when pulled through the guides of your rod.

Final word is you’re not doing anything wrong. The SA braid just doesn’t expand enough for a blind splice.
    Hey richr!

Thank you for taking the time to reply.
    My spool of SA braid came in today and your description " SA braid just doesn’t expand enough for a blind splice" was and is spot on. I wrestled and fought the "tight braid" to no avail and if I decide to use the new SA braid I'll use the double overhand loop knot you suggested. I started rummaging through my box of miscellaneous lines and heads and found an unused half spool of the green airflo miracle braid and a whole unused spool of Rio braided trout running line. I guess I should double check my home inventory before purchasing something I may already have!!!!

Dang running lines...............................

Bob

in salt water fishing for tuna , we use hollow braid to easily make non-slip loops. Maybe the same application here.

Many “non fly fishing” brands make similar products of superior quality for way less money. For spey applications
    Heavy PowerPro super slick is the best running line I have ever found, and there’s no reason to have backing.
    Less knots in your setup the better.