Thread: Benefits of Bad Weather

Smile Benefits of Bad Weather

Well, Bill wanted more fishing reports and here's a new take on things for stripers in the Feather and the Yuba. I'm sure the same holds true for the Sac and the American as well, but fishing up here has been good. Sometimes really good. And doesn't seem to slowing at all.

I can only attribute it to the high waters and cooler than normal temperatures. We all know stripers need mid-sixty degree water temps to spawn. The water temp yesterday on the Feather was 54 degrees and on the Yuba was jumping around between 52 and 48 degrees. That's perfect for keeping the stripers around but it's too cold yet for spilling eggs.

I've been getting lots of males that are spilling milt as soon as you get them in the boat. They want to spawn. But it's only been the last couple of weeks that hens have started to show up with some regularity. I made a post about catching a big hen last week and netted an even bigger male who was swimming along next to her. You don't usually see males THAT big. But he was spilling milt every where when I got them both into the boat. What a mess.

Yesterday was almost a repeat of that same scene. I had already taken 12 -14 nice schoolie stripers and was ready to quit. Yes, it's only 8:00. But I decided to head up the Yuba a ways and give it one more shot. I placed one cast barely a foot from the bank and got hit hard. Yahoo, a really strong fish that wanted to do whatever it wanted to do. Trying to keep her out of the snags and still control the boat at the same time is tough. Finally getting a little tired she had already taken me back into the Feather when my prop hits something and the boat comes to a sudden stop. Uugh! I'm wedged onto a log with a trailer strap wrapped around my prop. And a still very alive striper on my line.

I waved over a couple of friends in another boat who were watching me and told them what was happening. The fish is still on but ready to come in now. Fortunately they were able to cut me free of the log and strap, and I was able to get the fish in for a quick picture before releasing her. About 16-18 lbs. (Sorry, my wife isn't here to help me download the pic)

But, with the water staying cold like it is, the season is going to last a lot longer. And the shad have shown up now too, and the season will probably stretch their stay here longer too.
    Tony
    Last edited by Tony Buzolich; 05-21-2019 at 06:52 PM.
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Very nice report Tony.

Not that I'm going to navigate the Feather or Yuba............but...........for those that may.........

Did anyone ever remove/destroy that nasty object/thing that ripped up a couple of boat hulls last year (I believe it was in the Yuba) or at least mark it ????

Just curious........

Bob
    Last edited by BS; 05-21-2019 at 11:17 PM.

Seems like you have a lot of friends on the river. There is always one around when you are in a fix.

Bob, that happened to Maury Hatch on the Yuba just upstream of the Hwy 70 bridge. Nobody ever does anything to make navigation easy in either of these rivers. I think it was some reinforcement rebar in an old concrete footing that tore open the bottom of his boat.

Both the Yuba and the Feather are loaded with snags and downed trees. Then, if you're lucky enough to miss the snags and stumps you still have to watch out for the gravel and sand bars. It's a real obstacle course out there even if you are familiar with it.
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

John, Thankfully I see a lot of the same guys often enough, and we all wave and ask how each other is doing. And now there seems to be more fly guys than ever and I make a point of talking with each of them.

It's always good to have friends on the water that you can call or wave to.
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180