Thread: Can you float the Lower Sac with an outboard?

Default Can you float the Lower Sac with an outboard?

Hi everyone,

Was wondering if it is possible to float the Lower Sac in a skiff with a prop outboard? Is a jet necessary to get back upriver? I don't want the hassle of using a shuttle service, would like to drive my boat back upstream if possible. I have a 14 ft Portabote, and the short shaft outboard works in 6" of water....

The short answer is no, the longer answer is it all depends on flow levels and where you're trying to go. I have a prop outboard mounted on my driftboat (it also works in about 6"), and I can go short distances upstream when the flows are above 7K, and can get out and drag over shallower spots (with a lot of work). Upstream travel takes forever, though, so it's really not practical. FWIW, Uber works really well on the LSAC near Redding and is much cheaper than shuttle services.

Agreed with WLRedband, it would take forever to go upstream on most drifts, and I can think of a few spots that I would not go below with a small outboard and expect to get back up. Wyndham riffle for one. You could motor up from Anderson a ways and float back down I guess.

Uber or a shuttle IMO.

Awesome, thanks everyone for your honest feedback. I'll look into using Uber then.

For what it's worth, I saw 3 or 4 drift boats yesterday between Bonnyview and Balls Ferry and all were sporting small outboards. Appeared they were using the power instead of backrowing riffles and for scooting through non-productive stretches. Flows were around 13K, so they had a bit of depth to work with.

Nor Cal guide Fred Gordon use to use a 14' Jon boat with a 25 hp prop tiller outboard years ago to fish the Lower Sac.

Part of it is to have a small boat and motor, the other is to learn or know the river.

Be sure to be wearing your PFD all the time.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Thanks for the responses, looks like I'll take my portabote up before the flows go down much further. And I always have lifejackets on, VHF, noisemakers, and first aid kit. I've gone to lakes, ponds, the SF bay and delta, and even out of Monterey, so I know how important safety is.

I think I'll book a guide to show me what the river is like before I do it solo. Do you think a guide could take me out on my own boat? Or does their insurance only cover their boat?

I think hiring a guide to show you the ropes is a great idea. I have no idea if you can find one to take your own boat out, though. Call a few and see what they say. As an aside, I do have a few questions though. How do you plan on maneuvering your Portaboat in fast riffly water to get both safely downstream and to control your drift whilst fishing? Oars, paddle, engine, or ???? I mention this, because my other boat is a 17' jet sled that I use a lot for trout on the LSAC, and it's quite difficult to precisely maneuver in fast water without using the jet. It has an electric trolling motor that works great in the deeper slower water, but you'd be up the creek without a paddle (apologize for the pun!) using that in faster water.

I dunno, I could be underestimating the capabilities of the boat, but I don't think I would feel confident taking the portaboat out on the big sac. I think it might be tough to find a local guide to endorse that.
    however. fortune favors the bold! good luck.