567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Can hardly wait! All this talk about Roosterfish in Baja is just pouring fuel on the fire. Normally when I get this excited for a big fishing trip I calm the nerves by tying flies for the trip, but at this point I really don’t think I can justify bringing any more. I guess it’s a good thing we are on our way soon
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

I heard about Roosterfish in Baja for many years from returning anglers.

Only until recently (last 10 to 20 years) did many actually catch them on cast flies.

30 to 40 years ago someone would talk about Roosterfish they caught in Baja and that they were actually trolling flies.

30 to 40 years ago the flies we not very good, which was part of the problem.

Today the flies are very good plus the rods and lines are better.

The guides and information are better so more a doing well on Roosters with cast flies.

I have only fished for them a little bit but they are one of the most exciting fish that swims.

I think May/June at the East Cape of Baja is one of the Rooster timings.

Good fly casting ability is one big limiting factors as well as having good tackle and the right fly.....
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Just a few notes for those who plan on traveling south of the border for some hot fishing.
    Yes, the fishing is hot right now but remember things can change in the snap of a finger.

Mexican regulation states that you are allowed 4 rods, 4 reels into the country. You can carry more but if you get the "red Light" and get checked with more than what you're suppose to be bringing in you could/might have to pay a "tax". This also goes for the number of flies you're bringing into country. Say you're fishing a week and have tied up 200 flies, they look at it like one week fishing and you have that many flies, no way - pay the tax man. I've been questioned many times but I tell them I'm staying 5 to 7 weeks, no fly shops in Mexico to buy flies.

I think the best year for BIG roosters was 2013 before the "Great die off". By die off I mean the fishing went down the tubes for 3 to 4 years, then last year the sardine's made a come back and it's like the glory days again.

I was just there last week and saw many big roosters caught and a few yellow fin. I got a yellow fin around 50lbs that kicked my a$$ but it was fun. I hear that they are starting to show up in numbers off the south end of the island. It's also time for some wahoo to start eating rapala's. But I have a rig that should work on both yellow fin and wahoo, without trolling the fly - I don't troll.

I think Gary's been fishing the same waters I have for as long as I have. I remember seeing him when we were staying out at the old Las Arenas hotel. Those were the good ole days, days we can look back on but we have to look to the future and hopefully the future will be partially as good as the old days. What they need is to regulate how much fish is coming back to the states. I heard something about what the airlines are planning. something to do with limiting the number of coolers/weight limit per customer. The government has to do there share in controlling how much fishermen can take home. I know like in the East Cape and Cabo, most if not all the boats like flying those "catch flags", so they kill pretty much of what they catch. I just recently saw a photo on FB with 3 guys and at least 12 or more yellow fin on the dock. The old saying " there's a lot of fish out there" yes there is but what does the future hold if everyone thinks like that.

I know I'll get a lot of crap but I've have seen what has happened in the 26 plus years I've fished the Baja.

As far as our message board members go I feel Jay Murakoshi is the expert around the La Paz / East Cape area and Carl Blackledge is the guy for Loreto.

Jay has taken groups to La Paz where he goes for like 6 weeks or more.

Carl goes with groups of friends to Loreto where they stay for a month or so.

They have bot done this for years and that is where I get my information about these fisheries.

If anyone is thinking about going to Baja, Mexico I would definitely have these guys advise you as far as timing, tackle and flies.

Spring, summer and fall seem to when it is best for fly fishing. Winter is not supposed to be good for a serious fly fishing trip.

**An interesting fact is that Jay and Carl tie commercially and both produce really cutting edge salt water flies.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Hey Bill,

Thanks for the kind words about me and all my buddies who form our group of guys who do Loreto every year. Our group is very unique in that we have a deal with the best hotel in Loreto "the Oasis" The owner gives us a special deal to our group (wholesale prices) because we come every year and most stay for 2-4 weeks at a time, It's the same deal with all the guides we use, they also give us the wholesale price (nobody makes a profit off us and we have eliminated the "middleman" Our trips are about $225-250 per day depending on what and how much you eat and drink.

We always welcome new guys and love to share what we know and how to get the best deal, we have a few places in town where you can eat free, all the Tacos you want, we have another place where we can eat free wings , it just amazing in Loreto and especially in today's fish destinations where most of the fishing as gone to hell , Loreto just keeps getting better and also remember it doesn't get crowed in Mexico, there are room for all and most of the guys are catch and release so no worries on running out of fish, however after that being said we do kill a Dorado once in a while for the diner table while we are there. We never ever kill a Bill-fish or a Rooster.

If any Trout-Steelheader's and even Striper guys are interested in stepping it up a notch and want to get your ass handed to you by a saltwater fish, send me an email.

carlblackiedge@aol.com-

We still have a month before it starts. Carl Blackledge...also remember I don't sell trips but I can point you in the cheapest direction
    Last edited by Carl Blackledge; 05-27-2019 at 10:44 AM.