Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rio InTouch CamoLux Intermediate Line.

Default Rio InTouch CamoLux Intermediate Line.

I recently jumped on the this inTouch band wagon because I liked the castability and the sensitivity of these lines. I ran out and purchased a 4 and 5 wt of these lines. My success rate has dropped significantly since switching from my Cortland clear cameo line. I thought it was just me but I was out fishing with my brother he was slaying them and I could not get a grab. I had the entire line out and could not hit bottom in 5-6 ft of water.

I switched to the old line and immediately caught fish. I want to make sure I am not unusual but I could fish my old line from 0 - 15ft without issue by varying the amount of line and time to sink and trolling speed etc. I have snagged bottom in Fuller lake that's 18ft. Maybe I have been doing it wrong all these years but everyone is telling me an intermediate line is for 5-6 ft. My question is why does my old line sink beyond 5-6ft and these new lines do not. Have I been using them incorrectly all these years? If I cannot get into the zone the are of no use to me.

I call Rio and they were not much help. I expect an intermediate line to sink be it slow or what ever it should sink eventually and it if has a neutral buoyancy of 5-6 ft it should be a labeled a hover line. There are only certain situations and conditions where I would need a line like that but unfortunately it does not offer me the versatility I'm used to and expect. If you are in the market for one let me know as my loss could be your gain.

Thanks,

Jet
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" - unknown author

Are you giving the line a chance to break the surface tension of the water? I find that with my Cortland Clear Camo line I have to let the forward end of it rest in the water submerged for a few minutes before I start casting it. Otherwise, it takes a while before I start to get a good sink rate from it, especially on flat water where there is no wind chop.
    "Radiate, radiate, radiate far and wide as the lines of latitude and longitude on a globe."
    - John Muir

I also had issues with my old Cortland line where it would not break the surface tension of water....This line breaks the surface fine but does not sink past 5-6 ft. I may try cleaning the line with soap and water and maybe rub some mud on it or worst case Zink..... I seem to be only person complaining.... could be as simple as that

Thanks,

Jet
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" - unknown author

WOuld also put it in water over night or for few hours if it has not been used

Old info.....They use to put something on all the line to keep them fresh on the shelf of the retail stores.

Washing it with maybe Dawn soap and water might help.

In my 50 years of selling fly lines we had some complaints:

People would buy a slow sinking line and complain that it did not sink?

People would buy a floating line and complain it would not float?

I thought I needed to just get them together and trade fly lines?

The Cortland Clear Camo slow sinking line was the number one selling lake line for many decades.

Before that line came along many used the solid colored WF6S type 2 full sinking line as the top selling lake line.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I made an attempt to clean with dawn and also used a foam line cleaning pad. Will test this weekend.. Step 1 & 2 according to Rio’s cleaning video. No dressing

I've noticed the same thing. the Camolux lines don't sink for s***. I've gone back to the clear Cortland lines. "if it aint broke"

Thank you for the reassurance as I was doubting myself. I’ll give them one more chance else back to my 15 year old clear cameo.

I cleaned the line with dawn and it seemed to improve the sink rate and depth. I guess this line will need an extended break-in time. I'm going to keep the 4 wt and sell the 5wt. I need something in the 3-4 IPS sink to have more options when the fish are holding deeper.

Years ago a true Intermediate line was not clear or semi-clear and sank at about 0.5 IPS for fishing in the first few feet of water, especially when windy to get under the chop.

These fished really shallow but gave you better contact with your fly.

Years ago Scientific Angler had a true Intermediate weight forward full line that sank at 0.5 IPS and was light green, called the

"Fisherman". It was popular in stillwater/lakes for trout and lakey tidewater near the ocean for Steelhead.

I guess between Rio, SA, Airflo and Cortland there should be something for every situation.

The Rio Hover line sinks at 1.0 IPS so that would be a true super slow sinking line

https://www.rioproducts.com/products.../intouch-hover

I think Shakespeare came out with the first clear slow sinking line for salt water/Tarpon fly fishing.

Then Scientific Angler came out with better clear slow sinking lines for Tarpon and trout.

Cortland came out with a clear line that was the go to slow sinking lake line for several decades.

Sadly Cortland went away for a while but has been purchased and is back at it again.

50 years ago Cortland and Scientific Angler were the big dogs in fly lines.

Cortland was in what they called Pro Shops that were mostly in good sporting goods stores.

Scientific Angler (like Fenwick rods) were in all the big discount stores.

I lived through / witnessed many changes in the fishing tackle business over my 50 year career.

Equipment is so good today...........
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........