Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: There's a New Fish in Town - Christmas Island 2019 Part Two

Default There's a New Fish in Town - Christmas Island 2019 Part Two

Next day we go offshore and head north looking for birds. Sure enough, birds everywhere, piles of them, along with busting yellowfins.

We brought fly rods but were told to put them way, these are too big for light rods. Wham! Off go the rods and we've got a double yellowfin hook up.

Rounding the point we head east toward Bay of Wrecks and spot more birds. Another rod goes off and I've got a nice wahoo.

More birds everywhere, more yellowfin breaking the surface. Hook up again and again, Even a triple once.

My rod goes off again but this time it's heavier and takes lots of line before slowing. Big tuna? Wahoo? Soon enough we see color 30' down,,,,,, a shark! Geez, on a trolling Rapala plug. The guides are all happy and quickly subdue the bronze-whaler (I think?) with ropes and gaffs. “ Good eating here” they say.

This year the bones seemed bigger than ever. Maybe it was the moon or maybe the locals aren't eating as many as they used to. In either case the last couple of days were fantastic right close to the lodge. My guide for the last two days was Tootene'. Again fantatic eye-sight. Perfect instructions, and we caught fish. Lots of fish in the 4-6lb range. And I got several personal best at 8lbs. And one at 10lbs plus.

So if you want to try something new head to the Villages and ask about taking a Milkfish. Don't even think about using anything less than a 12 wt.for them. Jim even used his 14 wt and it wasn't over gunned them.

For the bones, they're there all the time, but on or near a full moon they come in to spawn and seem much larger and heavier than usual.

And for the GT's, you just have to put in your time and stay away broken ledges and bloody knees.

Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Tony,

Glad you had a wonderful time.

I have about 6 weeks left befour I go on my one Month fishing trip to Loreto

Most all the guys in my group go to Xmas island once a year, they say it's 50% cheaper in Loreto, example is I spend around 5 k for a full month of living like a king, eating the best food in the world and catching Dorado-Sailfish-Marlin and Rooster's. I do understand that each guy has his own special place and I am glad you get'em at yours Carl Blackledge

Aloha Tony, sorry to hear about the mishap at Huffdam, guess you didn't get your 100lber. Congrats on the milkies. Aren't they fun, it is like three fights in one, first areal, then they sound deep and finally a real shit show at the boat. Those tuna would have been good fun on a 12wt. I got a bunch on pink poppers in the bird piles. Glad the bones are getting bigger. Jim looks happy with those big bones. Great report, thanks, Don
    Don Memmer

Christmas Island is on my top ten list of great places to go.

Don't think you will do as well as Tony and his guys on big fish.

You will catch lots of wonderful Bonefish on shallow, hard white flats.

Thanks again Tony for your 5 star post and photos.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Don,
    On one of your last posts you mentioned about swimming with a bronze whaler. I can't truly identify my shark as a bronze whaler but it was very brown in color and not at all gray like a reef shark. I think it only had four gill slits too.
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Don,
    On one of your last posts you mentioned about swimming with a bronze whaler. I can't truly identify my shark as a bronze whaler but it was very brown in color and not at all gray like a reef shark. I think it only had four gill slits too.
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Bill,
    Thank you for the compliments. I enjoy telling good stories but I really con NOT have done it without my wife's help. Getting the right pictures to fit the story and cropping and editing is a real skill.
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Tony, that looks like one heck of a great trip! Quite impressive catch too, both quantity and quality. Great posts. Sure helped fuel the anticipation of our upcoming venture into the salt; 11 days and counting fast.
    Cheers,
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

Jason,

Where you going?

CB

First trip to Baja Carl. Can hardly wait!
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown